Chapter Five - First Friend

Ash's POV

"Ash, your guide for the upcoming two weeks is......"

An overfamiliar blue-haired girl emerge from behind Professor Rowen. My eyes widen and mouth hangs open. It's her. While I'm recovering from my shock and lost all my words, we made eye contact for a split second and she gives me a meek smile. 

Yep, that smile confirms it. She definitely knew of this beforehand. Both of us refuse to be the one that starts a conversation but Professor Rowen thankfully chips in.

"I believe the two of you are already acquainted, correct?"

I wish we weren't but we are. I nod in agreement to his statement along with her.

"Yes, this is our third meeting." I add, if the time where we accidentally collided into each other counts that is.

"Isn't that great? Self-introductions aren't necessary I suppose then."

No- wait! Self-introductions are absolutely necessary! I only realise now that I have yet to know her name despite meeting several times.

Dawn's POV

The favour that Professor Rowen asked of me was to become Ash's two-week guide. I accepted without much thought since it's directly requested from the principal but I'm having doubts now. The shock on his face and aversion towards me is impossible to conceal.

"Dawn is our school's honour student, there's no better guide than her. You can count on her Ash!"

Professor Rowan glances over to me and smiles. The bell rings, signalling our first lesson has ended. 

"Now then, let Dawn escort you to your first class. I wish you the best of luck, Ash."

Ash nods and immediately makes his way to the door. He walks out of the room first and held the door open for me which takes my by surprise. He seems extremely different from the rumours, Ash's the gentleman type I guess. I start walking to lead the way and he follows behind without a word. 

Deciding to break the silence by attempting to start a conversation with him, I stop walking and turn around to face him.

"Ash was it? I don't believe I had the chance to properly introduce myself. The name's Dawn, Dawn Berlitz!"

I'm making an effort to sound as energetic and lively as possible but receive no response for the first few seconds. He loves making the atmosphere awkward doesn't he?

"My name is Ash Ketchum. Nice to meet you, Miss Berlitz."

My body shivers after hearing the way he addresses me. Does anyone still use such polite speech towards their classmates? He's probably the only one. I want to let it slide but I can't get over it.

"Too formal, just call me Dawn" I try to nonchalantly ask him, but attempting isn't perfecting.

"Sorry Miss Berlitz, I'm afraid that's impossible. I don't plan on becoming friends with anyone here and for them to get the message, formality is required."

After hearing those words, my body acted by itself. My following actions surprised the both of us. I pin Ash against the wall, grabbing him by the collar and yelling near his countenance.