Chapter Eleven - Betrayal and Regret

Dawn's POV

Ash and I walked to school together but not a word was spoken between us after leaving my house. He excused himself to the washroom after arriving inside the building and hence I'm going ahead to the classroom alone first. 

Ash's definitely avoiding me. This is to be expected after the events that took place this morning right? Arriving in front of my classroom, I sigh before opening the door. I catch sight of my one and only brunette bestie, May, and she's conversing with our usual group. May is too engrossed in her conversation with the others to notice me, therefore, I decide to take her by surprise and slowly crept towards them from behind.

May's POV

"Thank god we weren't able to formally meet the 'demon child'." I snicker as the others agree.

"Who knows what'll happen to our reputations if we became friends with him." Drew points out.

"Dawn changed for the worse after associating with him. I used to believe me and her could be an item but now? Absolutely not." Paul adds.

Dawn and Paul together? I shudder at the very thought. A grumpy and arrogant guy like him would never be a good match for Dawn but I can't vocalise my opinion in front of them.

"You're completely right! Dawn transformed into a loser like him." I blatantly lie.

I join in with their laughter until hearing a loud thud. I peer behind my back, expecting to find a slipshod classmate of mine.

N-No way. D-Dawn?! Her backpack dropped on the floor and she's gazing down with her hands clenched into fists. I couldn't meet her eyes nor can I find the words to explain anything. A few moments of unusual silence pass between us until Dawn places her right hand on my left shoulder. She pulls me in, to the point where her lips are only inches away from my ear.

"Next time, inform me if I'm a nuisance to you. I won't force you to become Ash's friend...."

Dawn's serene voice is hardly audible and for the first time since we met, I can't comprehend her feelings. I plan to shrug it off for now but her last two words utterly shattered me.

"....nor mine."

She releases my shoulder and returns to her seat without bothering to look back at me once. I wasn't even able to utter a single word of protest. Drew rests his hand on the same shoulder Dawn put hers on previously.

"May, this is for the best." He pronounce.

I didn't respond and stayed immobile on my seat. All I can think of is that, compared to Dawn, Drew's hand is frigid.

Dawn's POV

I couldn't bring myself to say anything more, I would've undoubtedly cried.

I'm strong and independent.

I repeat the same dull yet vital words inside my head, over and over again. I have to be strong. I have to be independent. There's no longer anyone I can rely on, no one that I can trust. I rest my head on my left hand and gaze outside the window. Perhaps this is what Ash had always been feeling?

Ash's POV

I notice Miss Berlitz whispering to her best friend as I enter the classroom. I think her name was May Maple. Their exchange only lasts for a short while and Miss Berlitz returned silently to her seat afterwards.

My eyes follow her until she sits down and I catch a glimpse of Miss Maple's guilt-stricken expression as I head to my seat. I wasn't able to catch what Miss Berlitz had said but I'm certain that it wasn't pleasant. I desire to comfort Miss Berlitz as I study her face of dismay but I had no right to intervene in her private matters.

Time Skip - Lunch

Miss Berlitz immediately left the classroom after the bell rang. I presume she needs to spend some time alone so I decide to spend recess alone for today. I made my way outside the school building, to the place of memories.

I sit beneath the same tree I slept under on the first day of my transfer and leaned on the trunk. My first proper conversation with Miss Berlitz was here and a smile surfaced on my face as I recalled the warm memory. It hasn't been very long since then but it still feels like the distant past to me.

I plug in my AirPods to my mobile phone and play my favourite songs. The tranquil environment begin making me drowsy until my eyes eventually give in and closes.

Dawn's POV

I avoided Ash to prevent him from seeing me in this miserable state. I'm fully aware that I wouldn't be able to smile at him like usual. The last thing I would want is to worry him with my private affairs. 

I hid inside the female washroom, an area that Ash wouldn't be able to access. I'm pretty pathetic aren't I? Heartbroken just from losing my friends, Ash'd laugh at me. After all, he's been through much more agonising experiences. Everyone in class would notice my swollen eyes if I cry hence I need to hold my tears in.

After calming myself, I believe I'll be able to greet Ash with a smile and made my way out of the washroom. I open the door and to my luck, a familiar brunette appears in front of me.

May's POV

I extend my hand to open the female washroom's door but it opens itself before I reach. The person that emerged from inside is.... D-Dawn? We're both surprised but Dawn quickly swallows her astonishment and takes a deep breathe before looking directly at me.

"My sincerest apologies, Miss Maple. I hope I hadn't frightened you."

She bows and steps aside, allowing me to enter first. I went inside without a word and seconds later, I finally muster enough courage to face her. I turn myself around but she's no longer here; the door slowly swaying back and forth.

H-Huh? It took me until now to realise she just called me Miss Maple. 

Just yesterday we were still joking around and laughing together during class. Uncontrollably, tears escapes my eyes, rolling down my cheeks. Wh-What have I done? We had plenty of quarrels in the past yet we've always made up in less than an hour. However, it's different this time. I've truly hurt her, there's no going back.

I catch a glimpse of the girl reflected in the mirror, her pitiful face disgusts me. Memories of Dawn and I begins surfacing as I become overwhelmed with regret. It's only been a short while since we've fought but I already miss her.

I need her, my most beloved and irreplaceable best friend.