Chapter Twenty Six - Johanna's Rage

Dawn's POV

"Ladies and gentlemen, as we start our descent for Celadon City, please ensure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is stowed underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins. We hope you've enjoyed boarding with us and wish to see you again in future flights. Thank you."

Seems like I've fallen asleep without myself knowing once again. I glance beside me and Alice met my eyes. She quickly turns away and it took me a moment before realising that she probably wants to look at the view outside the window. I open the shutter and notice Alice immediately facing towards it with glittering eyes. Giggling at her childish side, I also take a look outside.

"Wow..." I unconsciously mutter.

I've seen images in textbooks but Kanto is indeed a wonderful region. Of course, I'm not claiming that Sinnoh isn't as all regions have their own appeal. 

Once the plane landed, everyone immediately begin to collect their items and queueing up to exit. Fortunately, Alice and I didn't have much luggage but the passenger sitting in front of us had two small suitcases. I notice that the passenger didn't seem to have enough strength and with a shove from behind, the suitcases he's taking down fell.

Reflexly, I switch places with Alice to shield her. Thud. Both of us lose balance and end up on the floor. I hold myself up using both hands which allows me to refrain from falling on top of Alice, however, my already injured wrist causes me to scrunch up my left eye due to immense pain. Alice lays beneath me and the suitcase roll off my back.

"Are you alright?" I question, attempting to give her my best smile.

I slowly pick myself up and offer my hand to help her. She accepts and I pull her up, wincing in pain as I straighten my back. To get myself injured again in such timing, luck is surely not on my side.

Several flight attendants and the passenger from behind apologise sincerely and offers to provide me with ice packs to use. I thank them for the thought but I'm not willing to hold an ice pack on my back while searching for Ash hence I decline their offer. I look back at Alice to check whether she's injured but I notice her muttering words under her breath instead.

"Why..." She murmurs.

"Alice?" I call out to her.

She looks up to me but her expression is difficult to read. A mixture of sadness and abject? Alice suddenly holds my shoulder and leans her face closer to mine. Tears escapes her eyes and her cheeks flushes.

"A surprise attack like that isn't fair..."

Immediately releasing me after whispering into my ear, Alice jostles through the passengers and disembarks the plane. All I can do is watch her from behind, not knowing the meaning behind her words.

Moments later, while I'm still recovering from shock, a flight attendant approaches me and offers to escort me outside. I accept her proposal and she supports me to immigration. I thank her sincerely and ensure her that I'll be fine from here before passing the gate.

Many people surrounded the entrance, waiting for their friends or families to arrive. It made me realise the loneliness in my heart, longing for someone to welcome me but knowing there won't be anyone. I decide to take rest before beginning my travel, finding an empty chair to sit down on.

My money is limited and, with my injuries, it'll be difficult to rescue Ash even if I do find him. Immersing myself in deep thought, a sudden red carpet rolls in front of me. I shift my attention upwards to find...me?

Alice's POV

Idiot. I'm truly an idiot. What's gotten into me? I promised myself to close off my heart and become 'normal' yet I...

She's too kind... To save and even injure herself for someone she just met? I regret deeply about leaving without expressing a single word of gratitude. We have very much in common and my time with her was extremely pleasant, perhaps it was all just a dream in the end?

I stare at my newly added contact on my mobile phone.

"It isn't a dream."

I take a deep breath and try to gather up the courage to message her a simple 'thank you' at the minimum but, in the end, I couldn't bring myself to. I truly don't want to repeat my past.

May's POV

I drag myself to the next lesson which is chemistry, another one of my least liked subjects. During times like this, Dawn would always lend an ear and listen to me rant out my frustration but she's not here today either. No, I'll probably never get the chance to again...

Flashback

Using all my courage, I finally gathered up the courage to visit Dawn. Standing in front of her house, I brace myself before entering. Dawn's place had always been my comfort zone. Whenever I argued with my parents over my little brother, Max, I came here every time without exception. It's the place I look forward to staying after shopping with Dawn and sleeping over many times. Now, my entire body stiffens up at the thought of no one answering the door.

"It's now or never." I mutter.

I knock the door once and wait before knocking again. I comfort myself, believing that Dawn might just be out doing grocery shopping.

Just before I lost all hope, the door slowly creaks open. Hope fills within me until I notice that the person who answered the door isn't Dawn. My heart sinks as I'm faced with Johanna, Dawn's mother, instead.

"Good morning ma'am. I-Is Dawn home today? She wasn't in school yesterday and I was wondering whether she's ill or anything."

I've never been able to bond with Johanna despite being Dawn's best friend for several years. She's rarely around and I can count the number of times I seen her with my hands. Johanna always wears a business smile outside but her inner feelings of dislike sometimes surfaces, especially today. Her hair is unusually unkempt today and heavy circles formed under her eyes as she squints at me. Johanna's eyes widen at the mention of her daughter's name and begins speaking in a stern and exasperated tone.

"Refrain from mentioning the name of that insolent daughter of mine. I no longer consider her my family and she will never return to this home. I refuse to let her in even if she begs me on her knees."

She slams the door shut, leaving me alone outside.

"Dawn... What happened to you?"