Chapter Twelve - The Real Ash Ketchum

Dawn's POV

On the way back home, I made a stop by the park to calm myself. I sat down on the empty swings and observed a pair of elementary schoolers playing in the sandpit together. They closely resemble May and I of the past.

I sigh as I think of May. Perhaps I acted a bit too indifferent back then? Addressing her 'Miss Maple' was done unconsciously but recalling our disputation is excruciating. My mother's not home and my best friend is now the source of my pain, is there anyone I can truly depend on now?

An unexpected image of Ash flashes in my mind. Only now that I remember the uncomfortable atmosphere shared between us from this morning. I'm uncertain what I'll say to him but I want to see him. I determine that he'll most likely be working at Piplup Patisserie during this time of the day and decide to make a visit.

I swing myself one last time before heading to find Ash.

Ash's POV

I completed producing the last batch of strawberry tarts, marking the end of my job for today. I collect my wage from the manager and leaving through the backdoor.

On my back home, I notice an overfamiliar blue-haired beauty racing towards my direction. Without a doubt, it's Miss Berlitz. I presume she's in a hurry until Miss Berlitz stops directly in front of me. I'm still troubled as to how should I act around her or what to say after the occurrence this morning. 

Miss Berlitz places both hands on her knees, slightly crouching, and breathing heavily with sweat trailing down her forehead.

"M-Miss Berlitz?! What brings you here?" I make an effort to casually ask.

I receive no response, instead, she drags me to a shady alley with her. It's one of those places where rarely anyones passes through and a blind spot for CCTVs in the area.

"I-Is something the matter, Miss Berlitz?" I question.

Still no answer. Miss Berlitz begins inching closer and eventually rests her chin on my right shoulder before pulling me into a hug. I blush at her sudden and bold actions until hearing soft sobbing. I hesitant at first but, in due course, I embrace her back as her crying grow louder. I didn't understand why she's shedding tears nor the reason she picked me to rely on but I'm certain that this is something that only I can do for her right now.

"Tell me anything." I whisper before hugging her tighter.

Dawn's POV

"Tell me anything." Ash whispers before hugging me tighter.

That's it. The words I'd wanted to hear. It's absurd that just from a few words, my heart completely opened up. Everything I desperately held in bursted out. About May, my 'friends' and the encounter in the washroom afterwords. 

I'd only realise the part of my so-called-friends badmouthing Ash would also upset him after explaining. My mental state is too unstable for me to notice immediately, or perhaps I'm too self-centred on myself.

"S-Sorry Ash, did I upset you? I even confidently apprised you that they're all cordial."

He shakes his head and replies. "You certainly haven't, the one in the most pain right now is you."

Being embraced by Ash feels warm and safe, almost as if only the two of us remains in this world. Perhaps it's because of our current atmosphere but I suddenly desire to hear him call my name.