Chapter Nineteen - Uncanny Dream

May's POV

After selecting the best orange juice available and convincing Dawn to buy snacks for later, we begin heading back. I cling onto Dawn's right arm as tight as possible, believing that she'll leave me again if I loosen up.

"May? Did you always cling onto me so tightly?" She mildly asks.

I intend to answer 'yes' in a childish manner but came upon a realisation. Before our dispute, weren't we always this close? She never once asked about it before yet she's mentioning it now. Perhaps Dawn still hasn't completely forgiven me?

Dawn's POV

"May? Did you always cling onto me so tightly?"

May remain silent after my frivolous remark and abruptly stops walking, almost causing me to lose balance and fall over. I glance over at her, planning to warn her to avoid stopping without notice but her face turns sombre.

"May? What's wrong?" I ask her, cupping my hands on her cheeks in order for our eyes to meet.

"Dawn, have you still not completely forgiven me yet? It feels that you seem to be more distant from me than before.... Can we never return back to normal?" She whimpers.

I sigh and flick her forehead with my thumb and index finger.

"Ow!" May yelps, reflexly covering her forehead with both hands. I smile and remove her hands away before placing my forehead against hers.

"Perhaps during the time we spent apart I have ever so slightly changed but the same applies to you. We might come across more disagreements in the future but I can guarantee that we'll be able to amend our friendship every time, just like today. We'll surely grow closer and understand more about one another after each fight." I assure her.

"You won't treat me differently compared to before?"

"I don't recall you ever being such a worrywart, May. Our friendship would only turn for the better after each argument! I'll certainly be just as strict on your studies as you've undoubtedly skipped out on revising for the past few weeks."

"Oh please do!" She sarcastically responds before grabbing my arm again.

From the bottom of my heart, I can honestly say that I've missed her.

Time Skip

"We're back, Misty! With your orange juice!" I call out, taking my shoes off at the entrance after returning home.

Misty immediately pops her head out and examine May and I.

"I'll take it that everything went well?" She chuckles.

I smiled in defeat, understanding that she set us up purposely.

"Thank you for everything, Misty. We owe you one." I express my gratitude and went ahead into the kitchen to pour orange juice out for her.

"I'm sorry about the way I acted to you before and I should also give you my thanks." May faces Misty.

May had never thanked anyone earnestly before as she always speaks in a jokingly manner, therefore, it's another side of May that I've never seen before. Misty grins and simply responds.

"Don't mention it!"

Third Person's POV

After the reconciliation between Dawn and May, everything turned out smoothly. The tense atmosphere from before is replaced with a relaxed ambience.

The three of them spent the entire night sharing secrets, pillow fighting and eating snacks after midnight. They even slept together at May's suggestion, not willing to part until morning came.

The three girls smile sweeter than honey, even after falling sleep.

Ash's POV

A black four dimensional area, just how many times have I been here? It doesn't matter how much stamina I have to keep running, the scenery just won't change.

Sudden sounds of footsteps echo from behind and, even without looking, I know it's her. I turn around to prove that I've guessed correctly, it's the lady who dons a masquerade mask who appeared before various times.

"You again!" I shout, unable to control my feelings.

Just like the previous time, she raise her hand and clicks her fingers. However, instead of two, three spotlights appears. The first one shining on Dawn, the second on the girl from my memories and the final one is on Misty. All of them chained and caged, crying for help.

"Ash! Save me!" They all call out in unison.

A glowing pathway which splits into three separate routes halfway appears before me once again, each leading to a different person.

"Ash Ketchum, who will you save?" The masked woman asks anew.

I still have yet to know what message she desires to convey but before having the chance to question her, she starts fading. I begin running towards her but the faster I run, the further she is. Before I knew it, I'm left alone in the lightless dimension again.

A shattered mirror materialised in front of me, reflecting a behemoth. C-Could this be.... 

I trace my face with my own hands and peer closer towards the mirror.

"Th-This is...m-me?" I maffle.

Reflected in the mirror isn't human. Its black scleras with crimson red pupils, claw marks striking through them on the skin and opening the mouth exposes its serrated teeth. Blood drips down from the forehead, staining its messy raven hair with wine red highlights. Instead of nails, it has claws that are longer than fingers and overgrown fur covers its hands.

"N-No....NO!" I screech as the reflection begin emerging from inside the mirror.

THUD! Ow! A feeling of déjà vu comes across as I open my eyes to find myself on the floor once again. I hastily rush to the nearest mirror in the room and study my reflection.

"It's only a dream.." I repeat in my head in order to comfort myself.

I continue to examine my reflection but before I'm reassured, the behemoth appears in my reflection for a split second. I rub my eyes intensely and look again to only see myself again.

"It must be my imagination... That's right! Just like Dawn always says, no need to worry!"

I take a deep breath and return back to bed but I can't bring myself to close my eyes. If I fell asleep, would I continue to have dreams of the nightmare?

My heart rate refuse to slow down and I uncontrollably keep glancing at my reflection through my phone. My eyes eventually starts closing after several minutes but a knock on my front door puts me awake again. My body stiffens as I can't think of anyone who would visit at this time of the night, especially since Dawn and Misty are having a sleepover together.

All of a sudden, my front door is sent flying with large force. It crashes through the windows, shattering the glass and falling outside the apartment complex. A shadowy figure enters through the broken entrance, the sound of footsteps grows louder and my body freezes

There isn't a place to conceal myself in my bedroom, I can only wait until the mysterious intruder reveals themselves and their motive.

"Dawn....Help.....me..."