Chapter Fourteen - Misty Waterflower

Ash's POV

I watch Dawn as she leaves my apartment complex from the window above. Have I inadvertently upset her? Or perhaps she regrets befriending me? I sigh and lay down on my bed with my arms over my eyes. Everything that occurred today seems almost like a dream. I slowly begin drifting off to sleep...

Wh-Where am I? I scan my surrounding area and it looks to be that I'm in a rose garden. I start following the only open pathway without knowing where it'll lead me to. As I reach the end of the path, a hole appears directly beneath me out of nowhere. I scream for help as I fall down, outstretching my hand in hope to grip onto anything.

I eventually land in a black four dimensional place, a feeling of déjà vu. A slender woman with brown hair, kept in a low ponytail, appears. She's wearing a masquerade mask and a dark cloak that reaches her ankles therefore I can't get a proper look of her face.

"Wh-Who are you?!" I yell.

I receive no response, instead, she raise her hand above her head and clicks her fingers. Two spotlights immediately appear, one shining on Dawn and the other is on the girl of my memories. Both of them are chained and caged, crying for help.

"Ash! Please save me!" They both cry out in union.

A glowing pathway that splits halfway illuminates in front of me. One leads to Dawn and the other to my childhood friend.

"Ash Ketchum, choose the one you'll save." The masked woman speaks for the first time.

Her voice sounds refined and benevolent but her words strikes me hard. What is she intending to convey?

"Seek the answer yourself. The answer you desire is within you, it shall be clear someday in the future. But until then, you may encounter many hardships. Do not lose heart Ash Ketchum, happiness awaits you after your trials."

The masked woman begins fading and disappears in due course, before I have the chance to ask any questions, leaving me alone in darkness again.

THUD! Ow! I open my eyes and find myself head first on the floor, realising I must've fallen off. I chuckle as I imagine how Dawn would surely mock and call me a kid if she saw. 

I glance outside to see the full moon night. Candidly, it's stunning. Nonetheless, the ominous vision sends shivers down my spine. Was it really just a dream?

Time Skip

I wasn't able to sleep much after the minacious nightmare I had. I arrive to school earlier than usual and decide to spend time in the library before the first class starts. I choose the table furthest away from the entrance, next to the window, and with no occupants.

I discreetly make my way over and sit down. I rummage around my backpack and take out my favourite novel, 'Wonder' by R.J. Palacio. I've read this book countless of times and it always gives me courage. I begin re-reading but, after a short while, I hear the sound of footsteps approaching me. I initially thought I'm mistaken or that it's Dawn but neither is correct. A shadow looms over me as the sound of footsteps stops. I cautiously glance up and a winsome girl with short orange hair, tied into a side ponytail, shows up. 

"Aye! Hello there."

I look around me, believing her greeting isn't directed at me but find no one around. I point my index finger at myself and slightly tilt my head towards the left.

"Yep, I'm talking to you! The name's Misty Waterflower, nice to meet you!" She winks and smiles at me before extending her arm for a handshake.

Baffled at her direct actions, I'm under the impression that her frame of mind is similar to Dawn. Self-reliant, dauntless and confident. Stunned and unable to find the right words, I'm only able to shake her hand and return a small smile.

At the corner of my eye, I notice the main library door opening and a familiar blue-haired female enters.

Dawn's POV

After abruptly leaving Ash yesterday, my heart hasn't been at peace. I wasn't able to get much sleep and woke up earlier then usual. I headed to school rather early today hence I decided to kill time in the library before class. The moment I step foot into the library, my eyes spots Ash on the furtherest table away. I advance towards him but realise he isn't alone.

After noticing the person beside Ash, I stop in my tracks. I-Is that Misty Waterflower?! My heart tightens after catching sight of their hands held together and smiling at each other. Ash's eyes meet mine for a split second and I storm out of the library without control of myself. The fact that he didn't even attempt to hide it shows that he'll never see me in a romantic way. 

I start slowing down in the corridors, hoping he'll come after me. Though he has no reason to, it's just my wishful thinking after all. I really dislike how selfish I am.

I hear the sound footsteps drawing closer towards me.

"Ash?" I turn around in hope.

Instead of Ash, a familiar purple-headed boy appears behind me.

Misty's POV

As predicted, Dawn strode out of the library upon seeing myself and Ash together. I have no interest of how others in the school sees me but the one person I swore that I'll never yield to Dawn. I'll never forget the day she and I met.

"My sincerest apologies, Miss Waterflower, but may I excuse myself?"

He pulls away his hand from mine, swiftly packing his belongings, and walking steadily out of the library.

I smile at myself before leaving. Everyone's attention is on me but it doesn't faze me at all. My sights are only set on Dawn. I'll never lose to her.