A Boy With a Dream

(Dayu's POV)

Hanzong, the Middle Kingdom 16th Century

I whistle as I walked the muddy road on the foot of a mountain. It rained hard last night, every plants are alive. Leaves are so green, trunks are sturdy. The sound of the river flowing steadily downstream is my company as I walk to enter the province of Hanzong.

Opportunities are aplenty in Hanzong. Thats what everyone says back in my home province, SiChuan. With a military base of General Zong built in Hanzong, they have constant need for young strong men like me who are willing to work as a soldier or as a helper.

Along the way I saw an old lady, wrinkled and frail looking, carrying stack of woods on her back.

I ran to her.

"Let me carry it for you Granny," I said as I took the load from her back.

Her face fell. "Oh but I don't have any penny to give to you as payment young man."

I was surprised by what she said. I shook my head, "I am not asking for a payment Granny. But if you can spare a small bowl of hot soup when we get to your home...but it's also fine if you don't have..."

The old woman smiled kindly at me, "I can spare some soup for you, young man."

My eyes grew round, "Really? Thank you,"

I haven't eaten anything warm since...I can't remember the last time I had a warm soup. It's been too long.

I happily carried the stack of woods for her, even picked up some more along the way. I will tear of small branches from the tress we are passing by and add it to her stack.

"Where are you from young man?" She asked me.

"From SiChuan, born and raised there..."

"Ah...SiChuan..." her face fell.

I can understand. SiChuan is being ruled by a cruel overlord. Its Governor. The taxes are high, the poor become poorer and the rich are swimming in their riches. People in SiChuan are escaping the hunger and the cruelty of the officials there.

Hanzong, on the other hand, is being managed by a strict but fair general. Master General Zong is known on the land as a strong leader, wise and fair on the people under his rule. The Emperor also trust the Master General to take care of the Hanzong Military Base. A trust from the Emperor is a great deal.
That's why I came here to Hanzong. Traveling by foot to try and join General Zong's army.

"You want to join the General's army?" Granny asked after I told her why I am here.

I nodded, "I am hoping to..."

The old woman looked at me critically.
"All the General's men are tall and strong. You look sturdy enough but your height..."

I laughed awkwardly at her dubious look. "I will pass the test Granny. I am not just strong. I am stubborn too! I will make sure that I will pass. I'll even try to get a perfect mark,"

The old woman snorted, "There's only one man who passed the military exam with a perfect mark. The son of the 2nd general in command, Captain Wang..."

My eyes grew huge again, "The son of General Wang, Captain Wang got a perfect mark?!"

"Yes! Such a strong man that boy. His father raised him here in the mountains of Hanzong, training night and day,"

"Wow," I grin, "Maybe I will get to work with them."

The old woman laughed at me.

"Anybody can dream," she said before walking ahead.