Questions and Rumors

(Dayu's POV)

The questions started coming at lunchtime. After serving lunch to the soldiers at the eating hall, the Captain came to me and asked me to sit with him inside an office. There's a table there with food. We sat down to eat together.

"Tell me all you know about a person they call "The Shadow". You are from SiChuan, you must know something about him," the Captain said as we eat.

Oh, just a few things. One, he is sitting in front of you. Two, you are eating with him. Three, you will sleep with him again in the same room tonight you big idiot.

I drank some water and swallow first, "The Shadow?" I twitch my nose, I look cute when I twitch my nose. "I heard of him, who hasn't heard of that scary man..."

"He's a monster, not a man..." the Captain looked angry as he interrupted me. "He burned down a whole household after killing everyone inside it, including innocent children and servants..."

Ah, the job at Nanjing. That one was too easy actually. Killing everyone with poison was a kindness on my part but I had my moments of mercy too. They didn't even suffer that much, except for the master of the house who I drained of blood. He's the principal offender after all.

I shudder, eyes going round, "H-he did that, right? You are correct Captain, he is no man but a monster. But I know nothing about him. Just the last news of him being in SiChuan. But I left that place..."

"So you know nothing?" disappointment is clearly expressed in the Captain's face.

I nodded. "But I heard something strange about him before."

He perked up, "What is it?"

"That he is killing those officials involved in a raid at the SiChuan border a long time ago. I am really not sure..."

The Captain lean out from the table, "A raid?"

I nodded, "People at SiChuan are wondering why everyone thinks "The Shadow" is from our province. They say he was from that border. That he is killing for revenge..."

The Captain sneered, "He is a mercenary. A paid assasin. He killed for money. People are romanticizing this monster to make him more human..."

Yes, just think that way and we will have no problem at all. Continue thinking I am a monster and my job of killing you and your entire family will be an enjoyable experience for me.

Revenge will be sweeter that way.

"Revenge eh," The Captain absentmindely picked at his food. I stopped him before putting a lemon on his mouth.

"Sir that is a lemon. You don't like sour food," I said before I can stop myself.

The Captain stared at me, "How did you know that I don't like sour food?"

I blushed, "I...I asked around. You are my keeper after all," or I also did an inquiry about you, put a spy here in the camp to watch your every move. Take your pick.

The Captain smiled at me, "If you are curious about me, ask me directly. I don't like you going on my back to ask questions about me. I find it suspicious. Do you understand?"

I obediently nodded. He is not a complete idiot then.

"You don't know anything more about "The Shadow"? he asked hopefully.

I regretfully nodded. "I heard hearsays, some horror stories. Saying he killed more than what was reported to the authorities. Some even say he raped those women before he killed them too because they are close to his targeted officials. I don't know what is real or not..."

"Those are just rumors. I heard them too," the Captain said.

I let a moment pass before asking, "May I know why you are curious about this assasin, Captain?"

He became guarded, a bit more alert. "This is a military base. We have thousands of soldiers and officials here. I am just being cautious because "The Shadow" might target one of ours,"

I shuddered again, "Will it really happen? Will he attempt to attack this base? But he is just one man, how can he defeat all of us?" I need to include myself to avoid his suspicions.

He ruffled my head, "You, boy, have no experience in battle, what do you mean by "us"? Leave the defending to the real soldiers and just do your job helping around,"

I pouted, I am cute when I pout. "I want to learn how to fight, Captain. I want to be a soldier too,"

"Not yet," he firmly denies me. "You stay as a helper and keep a low profile. That would be healthy for you. I am your keeper so you will listen to me. Understand?"

I nodded again. Stil pouting. He ruffled my head again. Had no idea that all I wanted to do is pick up the steel choptick and stick it into his neck until all his blood oozed out of him.

Wang blood in my hands, that will be my reward for all this acting and pretending I am doing right now.