Hiding Spot

(Dayu's POV)

Mei and I stood in front of Uncle Shu's table inside his private quarter. Uncle is not happy while sitting behind it. Not happy at all. If his unsmiling face will be an indication. His eyes focused on me too.

Mei is looking back and forth between me and Uncle. His stance is uneasy. He is making me think that he would choose to run around the camp until he passed out in exhaustion rather than be there in the room full of tension.

Me on the other hand, doesn't care about any of it. My mind is blank. No plans, no revenge, nothing. My mind is a complete clean slate.

All the events that happened yesterday has swirled around and round in my mind the whole night  that resulted of me not getting any sleep at all.

The talk in the armory. That kiss. Captain's rejection. That kiss. The condition I asked for him to repay his debt. That kiss. My run to the forest. That kiss. My failed plan.

That kiss...

So that is how kissing is. Tingling, electrifying...feels sweet. And when he fold his arms around me. When he put his hand on the back of my head. When he willingly pressed his lips against mine.

That kiss...I sighed.

"Dayu!" I was startled when Mei pinch my arm. "What?" I turn to look at him. He gave me a pained look while pursing his lips and pointing it to the side. To Uncle Shu...

"Uncle Shu asked you a question," Mei whispered.

I stood straighter and look at Uncle Shu, "Yes Uncle..."

"Get you mind out of the cloud and pay attention!" Uncle's tone in quiet but his words are heavy. "I am asking you about what happened yesterday. In that armory..."

I shook my head, "Nothing happened Uncle. Like I said, the Captain rejected my affection. My mission failed."

"Good," Uncle nodded, "To be entirely truthful I never liked that plan of yours from the beginning. I don't mind that it fails. Now all you need to do is take some distance away from Captain Wang and let me and Mei do the information gathering for you. I want you to concentrate on practicing all your moves to get ready to kill the two generals,"

I nodded.

"Mei will help you. I will find a way to ask him in public to look after you so you two will have a valid reason to be together. Practice together, until your muscles will remember those moves even if you are sleeping."

I nodded again.

Uncle and Mei looked at me strangely. Mei cleared his throat, "Who are you and where did you stash my stubborn cousin?" he asked me.

I ignored him, "How can I avoid the Captain?" I asked Uncle Shu.

"I already thought of a way. You will start working at the uniform unit. Stay out of sight from now on,"

The uniform unit. Helpers on that unit are practically buried in lots of work. Washing, sewing and mending uniforms for the camp. Dying cloths, cutting and sewing them takes almost weeks of hardwork. If you are a helper and you work for the uniform unit, you are practically a recluse. Not seeing the light of day outside the clothing bunk.

That's why few helpers want that job. Nobody likes to feel like a prisoner in the camp. That place will be a perfect hiding place for me.

I nodded in agreement.

"Are you sure you are fine nephew?" Uncle is still worried. I nodded and tried to smile. "I was just a bit stunned that my plan failed, for the first time. I guess my strategies are not that perfect after all. I have to think a lot of things on my own. Being in the uniform unit is a wise choice for me. Thank you Uncle,"

Uncle Shu nodded, "Yes, take some time to think my Nephew. Rest you body and your mind so you will be ready for the generals arrival. We only have about ten more days before they come here. We have to prepare."

Mei and I nodded. Then we were dismissed. Mei and I walked out. We walked together until we came in the secluded back of the kitchen where Uncle Shu took me first to warn me about not falling for the Captain.

"Are you really feeling fine? You are being a bit more quiet than usual Dayu,"

"I am fine. I guess I am just not used to failing. But I have to regroup and think more carefully. The next mission, I can't afford to fail."

"You will not fail on getting rid of them. We have been planning those for a long time and you never failed in those kinds of missions before. This one is a bit different and rushed that's why it didn't work. Forget about this mission. I will work harder to get that information for you."

"Thank you," I said and smiled. "I have to go to the uniform unit now. I think Uncle did me a great favor by assigning me there,"

"Me too," Mei smiled back. "Hide there. Forget everything and focus on training. Everything will be over soon,"

I nodded and we walked separately.

I got to the uniform bunk without anyone bothering me. I had managed to avoid anyone by getting up early and staying with my Uncle. Now I will hide here, to avoid seeing Captain Wang.

I should have heeded my own advise a long time ago. The Captain is dangerous, I should have  kept my distance.

Now, I can't think of anything but him.

And that kiss...