Pull

(Dayu's POV)

The day after I cried hard on Mei's shoulder, I stayed in bed and just sleep. I think I am starting to be one of those creatures who are asleep during daytime but fully awake at night.

A creature of the night.

I think they call animals like that nocturnal. I am a nocturnal creature.

My Uncle Shu won't say anything. As long as I am eating and sleeping to heal in addition to drinking the healing tonic he kept on mixing and trying to sweeten to disguise the bittet taste of herbs, he is fine with me being a nocturnal creature.

Mei, on the other hand, stayed away for the whole day. I think he thought that if I see him I will remember Captain Wang and started bawling my eyes again.

He will not be wrong but still, I feel like it is a punishment for the two of us if Mei will not visit me.

Night falls, I can't stand staying underground under the cooking kiln of the pottery workshop. Luau is my guardian but he fell asleep faster than me. He snores too.

I was tempted to kill him. Which is a good sign. If I am itching to kill someone because they irritate me, it means I am getting better and going back to my normal state.

But I suppressed myself. Instead I got dress and with one murderous glance at my sleeping guardian I left the underground and walk inside the forest.

It's close to midnight. The patrolling teams from the military base should have done their nightly duty by now. The forest will be quiet and will be all mine.

I walked. And walked, until I got to the lonely lake inside the forest.

The same lake where Captain Wang took me to swim after warming me up with kisses.

I found myself smiling as a breeze made ripples on the water surface. Those memories felt like a lifetime away. So far far away.

How fast things can change? For me and my lover, it only takes three weeks. From kissing here in this lake to swinging swords at each other.

"His transfer papers has been approved. Captain Wang is getting ready to leave,"

He should leave. It is better if he will leave. I hope he already left. I think he already does. Captain Wang had been readying himself for quite some time to leave the base to get closer to his family, his mother and sisters.

Then he should leave. While I'll stay here to finish my revenge and start the process of forgetting him.

I close my eyes. Willing myself to forget. I have to forget to survive. But I am afraid that like the memories of my parents, the memories of my only lover will be unforgettable too.

"Dayu,"

See, I can even hear his voice. Which is impossible because he is not here with me. He must be halfway to Beijing now.

He left me behind.

I felt a tear slip from under my lashes. Why do people I love tends to leave me? My parents, Captain Wang. Is there something wrong with me for people to leave me behind? Or not choose me?

Captain Wang is like my mother. She didn't chose me either.

"Don't cry," Captain Wang's voice said again as he gently wipe the tears on my cheek.