First Move

(Jiang's POV)

I frown at my second in command when I saw Dayu with his group handling a lamp.

"Did the Master General asked you to take him?" I asked my second in command who looked at Dayu.

He nodded, "He said you are being stubborn for just a simple order. Why Captain?"

I squint my eyes in him, "Because for a simple order they are being persistent about it. I find it fishy. Did you clear him to Mr.Shu?"

"Yes Captain,"

I nodded, "Next time clear it to me first. I am still your commanding officer. Don't bypass me again," I gave him a cold glare.

My second in command nodded. I shouted the order for the patrol and we split into two group. I was tempted to take Dayu with me but I change my mind in the last second.

I wanted to look out for Dayu because Qing treasure the little helper. But it's just a simple patrol duty. Dayu will be fine in that two hour duration. He will be surrounded with trained soldiers too.

He will be fine.

I took my group to our route. We stayed alert ever since the  attack in Qing's troop happened where Dayu got hurt.

I shook my head. I find myself getting back to thinking about Qing's helper. I decided to deliver Dayu to my friend after this patrol duty. Maybe that will lessen Qing's irritation if he learned about the generals order.

We got back to the base where I saw Mei walking with scrolls on his hands.

"Hey," I approached him. He smiled at me. My heart skip a beat. I love Mei. My life finally made sense when I met him.

Here is someone who will say no to me. Won't give a damn about my name and my family's status. Mei won't spoil me. He won't give in easily. And once he surrendered, the victory is always sweet.

"Busy night?" I asked as I walk to be next to him.

My favorite place in the world, next to Mei.

"Yes," he nodded. "The Captain is with the generals discussing training exercises to be implemented at once. I have to read all these reports before I submit them. Done with the patrol duty?"

"Yes. I am looking for our other team to start discussing about our patrolling within the base. Have you seen them, my second in command is leading them?"

Mei shook his head, "No."

I frown, "That's strange. They should be here by now. They have the closer route than my group. Where are they? Dayu is with them..."

The scrolls in Mei's hand toppled to the ground when his arms suddenly gave in. I watch him in surprise as his face paled.

"Dayu is with them?" He asked in a weak voice. He turn to me, his eyes shining, "Are you sure Dayu is with them?!" he asked again while grabbing the collar of my uniform.

"Yes, Mei...is there something wrong?"

He shook his head, "Clever bastard. So he is right. They will make their move tonight," 

After saying those confusing words, Mei ran to the gate of the base. I followed him. "Mei!"

He turn while still running, "What direction did your second team went?" he shouted.

I point him to the east direction and that's where he ran. I followed him of course. Knowing in my guts that what I might see tonight will change my life forever.

And I am right...

(Dayu's POV)

Really, they should at least make me sweat.

My enemies are not even making me rack my brain to guess what their next move will be.

Ambushing a poor helper is nothing new. I have done it almost three weeks ago! Where is the originality?

But as fighters in soldier's uniform surrounded me, I gave them points for at least assigning the disposing of the helper to twenty people.

This will be boring if let's say there's only ten people here. Twenty will pose as a bit more challenging than ten or fifteen. Twenty is a compliment, I will gladly take it.

I give credit where the credit is due.

Uncle Shu wasted his worry on me. I did told him they will underestimate the poor Dayu.

"Are you sure they will try to get rid of you tonight?" Uncle Shu look worried as I put down his freshly laundered clothes.

I nodded, "I think Captain Wang's talk with his father hasn't gone well. We all know how stubborn Captain Wang can be. I think that talk would just make his father more eager to get rid of his son's lover."

"And they will make their move tonight? How sure are you?" Uncle Shu keeps on harping on that information.

"Pretty sure. It may not happen tonight or tomorrow but this week will not end without them attempting to get rid of sweet Dayu,"

I am confident with that. I studied different war strategies because I knew my enemies are military men. To beat them, I have to think like them, especially when making a plan to go to war.

And once again, I have proven myself right as these soldiers circle around me in this dark corner of the forest.

They already sent back the other helper. Telling him to shut up and not say anything. The helpless and scared helper run but I saw someone followed him. I close my eyes because I knew that helper will not be able to come back to the camp alive.

Animals...these people. And they call "The Shadow" a monster? When they treat people's lives like they are dispensible bugs?

I will kill them all.

The moon is full. Shining brightly in the sky. It's light will pierce on the canopy of tress in the forest giving me enough lights to see my would be killers.

They all look collateral damage to me. The generals' puppets to do their biddings. Innocent they maybe, good soldiers they may be, just following orders, but they will kill me if I show mercy. They won't be merciful towards Dayu the helper.

I stood there, in the middle, and raise my arm. I beckoned them using my fingers and smile at them.

I think I will get to practice my techniques tonight. Uncle Shu will be happy.