Trapped

(Dayu's POV)

After two more days of rest, I felt like I have recovered from that tiring match with Captain Wang.

Breathing is not hard anymore. I think my ribs had healed from being bruised.

That match with Captain Wang gave me a practice and exercise like I have never done before. It's like training days all over again.

I can now go up the stairs to take a peek of what is happening above ground. Being underground can be lonely. I usually went up during nighttime.

I think I will be a perpetual creature of the night. A shadow no one will see coming or something to fear.

I find that I don't like it.

I lay down on the grassy backyard of the workshop. Concealed to anyone that will walk by. But who will walk by on this part in the dead of the night?

No one. Especially not the one I really want to see.

"Dayu," I lift my head and smile when I saw the familiar figure of my cousin. I didn't get to see Mei when I woke up after that match with Captain Wang. But he visited me on the last two days of my confinement as I heal my body.

He walked to me and sit beside me on the grassy ground.

"What are you looking at?" Mei asked as he too lay down and look up at the night sky.

"Stars," I said.

Mei frowned, "But there are no stars out tonight Dayu. The sky is filled with clouds..."

"Them not being visible doesn't mean that they are not there," I said stubbornly. "They are just there, up in the sky, trapped behind the clouds."

Mei gave me a sad look. Like he knew I am not referring to the stars in the sky anymore. My cousin is too perceptive at times.

I want to tell Mei how much I miss him.

My Captain Wang.

I wanted to tell someone that sleeping alone after spending weeks in bed with someone is hard.

I wanted to tell someone that not seeing someone but constantly visualizing them and thinking what they are doing at a certain time of the day can make you insane.

I wanted to tell someone that hiding when all you wanted to do is reveal yourself to that person is heartbreaking.

And I want to tell someone to slap me cause I am a maudlin' fool who should wake up and smell the roses. They are already rotting and I have to let them go.

Captain Wang and I are over. He should never mean anything to me now.

But sometimes...being alone when you got use to having someone at your side, is lonely.

"I am here Dayu," Mei said as his hand touched mine. "I will never leave you alone. I see you..."

I turn my head sideways to him, "You should say those words to Captain Jiang. They will make him happy if he heard them straight from you,"

Mei frowned, "Why will I say those words to him? I never promised to stay beside him. I just said that he can have me as long as he wants if he helps us,"