Sleeping Separately

(Qing's POV)

It's late yet Dayu is still not in the cabin.

I put down the scroll I am reading at the table and look at the door. I recalled the events of this day.

Dayu left early for his work. I didn't see him during breakfast and also during lunch time. My troops are on duty to patrol the perimeter of the camp so we ate dinner while walking around the ground.

In short, I didn't get to see Dayu almost the whole day. And another strange thing, no one came to me to report what my ward has been up to.

Huh?

Knock knock

I stood when someone knocked on the door. I opened it expecting my elusive ward but another helper stood there outside my door, looking extremely nervous.

"Good evening Captain. Mr.Shu asked me if I can get Helper Dayu's thing from your cabin," the flushed helper said while avoiding looking at me directly.

I scowled, "Why? Where is Dayu?"

The helper took a step back and visibly swallowed in fear and nervousness. "H-he's in the helper's bunk, Captain."

My scowl deepened, "Why is he there? Go back and tell Dayu to come here so we can sleep already..."

The helper paled, "D-didn't you hear Captain? Mr.Shu officially hired Dayu and another temporary helper as official helpers now. Helper Dayu is no longer your responsibility. He will be under Mr.Shu's care now. You are no longer his keeper..."

I feel my blood rushed fast up to my head as the helper kept on talking.

"Why am I hearing this just now? When did this hiring happened?

The helper swallowed again, "Tonight Sir, after we served dinner. Mr.Shu himself made the announcement. Helper Dayu will sleep at the helper's bunk from now on."

I laugh humorlessly. Mr.Shu made the decision and the announcement tonight, while I am out doing patrol. He chose tonight, out of so many nights, he did it tonight? He didn't even wait until tomorrow morning or talk to me first, he just did it.

Tonight!

I pushed the poor helper out of my way and strode angrily to get to the helper's bunk. My stride ate the ground, my long legs working at my advantage.

Every step I make coincide to the anger rising inside me. Are they making a joke out of me? Mr.Shu did it without consulting me? I think as Dayu's keeper I have some right for some courtesy to be asked if I am agreeing to release Dayu to Mr.Shu's care.

Every night duty soldiers I passed take one look at me and scrambled to get out of my way which is very good for them cause if they block me I can't guarantee their continued health. I am angry enough to bulldoze anyone that will hinder my path to the helper's bunk.

When I got to the building, I entered without any warning. There are still candles burning to light the big place filled with bunk beds and helpers.

Almost all helpers get up or sit up from their prone position when I entered the building. All except one who kept on lying on his side, facing the wall.

I strode to that "sleeping" helper. "Get up," I ordered while looking down at Dayu. I knew it is him. I would know him anywhere.

He didn't even made any movement to follow me or even indicate if he is still awake.

He is really testing my patience. "I said get up Dayu!" I repeat, almost shouting this time.

"Captain,"

Instead of Dayu, the familiar voice of Mr.Shu answered me from the back.

"This is the helper's bunk Captain, no officials or soldiers should be here. We can talk outside,"

I glared at the camp commander, "I will leave after my ward gets up to come with me. He is not staying here," I said in a hard tone.

"Come outside Captain," Mr.Shu is trying the diplomatic approach. I didn't budge from where I am standing.

He sighed, "He is an official helper now. You don't have to worry about him anymore. I and his helper brothers can protect him now. Captain, please..."

"Why am I not consulted with this decision? Are you disrespecting me Mr.Shu? As his keeper, don't I have the rights to be informed if something is happening to my ward?!"

Every helper watching the exchange cringe in my irritated look and loud voice. They took steps away from me.

But Mr.Shu remained calm. "The boy asked me to make him an official helper, saying he doesn't want to burden you anymore. And stop making you feel uncomfotable."

I felt a cold feeling settled on me as I remembered our conversation last night and what I told Dayu.

"When you act like that, people start thinking things about us. I am not comfortable..."

Damn it! I knew what I said last night will bite me back.

I turn my head to look at Dayu who is still lying and facing the wall.

I turn my body to him and put hands on my waist.

"Is this what you really want?" I asked him.

He didn't move or answer. Of course he won't answer. His goal is to irritate the hell out of me.

And he is succeeding.

"Fine! Do what you want!" I said and turn to leave but before I could fully turn I saw a helper sitting on his bunk nearby hugging his pillow.

I snatch that pillow from the helper's grasp who turned pale in fear and throw it at Dayu's back because...because he IS irritating.

After I did that I turn around to leave but after just two steps I felt a soft thing hitting the back of my head.

He threw back the pillow at me.

Every helper gasped in horror. I wanted to laugh, ah he is really something else.

I fivoted to glare at him but Dayu is already doing that to me. His eyes are shooting daggers at me, his brows almost meeting together.

He harrumped and then lay down and turn his back on me again.

I put a hand on my nape. That or go to the petulant brat and strangle him.

This time when I turn, I left without looking at anyone. Even ignoring Mr.Shu who called after me.

When I got back to my cabin, I kick Dayu's pallet angrily. Pick it up, threw it to the wall. Pick it up again and smash it to my bed.

All to vent my anger at it's owner.

He dared! He dared to make me
look stupid? To defy me? Ignore me? Throw a pillow at me?!

He dared to leave me?!

I close my eyes, lift to my face up and put my hands on my waist while I breath heavily. Willing myself to calm down.

Then I stoop low to pick up and mangled, twisted pallet and carefully put it on the corner near Dayu's chest that held his belongings.

That night, I stayed awake. Sleep eluded me, like him...