Behind the Attack

(Qing's POV)

"An attack? Again?"

I stood up with the generals after hearing Jiang's news of an attack on his patrolling team.

Jiang nodded, "Mei and I found them. I got worried when my second team is not back yet. I trailed on their route and saw the carnage the attack left. A helper died and I think they took the other one,"

Jiang looked at the generals when he said those words. I followed his gaze and found that he is looking at the Master General himself.

The Master General stood, "Captain Wang, what do you mean when you said again? Is this not the first time?"

I straightened, "Yes Sir, my team was also attacked while we were patrolling almost a month ago. Arrows flew at us. Fortunately no one was injured,"

Jiang looked at me. I schooled my expression. I don't know why but I don't like the generals to know that Dayu was with me that night and that he got shot by a poisoned arrow.

The generals look at each others and everyone stood too. "Let's see those soldiers," my father said.

"No!" Jiang and I turn to each other when we spoke at the same time. He held a hand at me to continue. I turn to my father, "General Wang, let us collect those bodies for you. You should't leave the base, if it is an attack, exposing the generals will not be a good idea. You must stay here and not give our enemies an open target."

The Master General nodded, "Your son is right General Wang. Let's stay here and let them bring those soldiers back."

Jiang and I bowed and left to do their orders.

We collect our troops. I frown when I saw Jiang's soldiers, they are all there except for his second in command.

He said his group was attacked, then why are his soldiers all here?

I kept quiet as Jiang took us to the attack scene. I blanched when I saw the bodies littered on the forest floor. An attack did happen. And it was brutal.

We found his second in command and the helper who died.

We collected the bodies. It took us two trips to collect all 22 bodies. At the camp, we present the dead to the generals.

"No one survived?" General Wang asked.

Jiang and I nodded.

"And only one helper died?" The Master General went to the dead helper and look at his face.

I frown when I saw the surprise on the Master General's face when he saw the dead helper's face. Like that is not the face he is expecting to see.

Now I think something was really up. Jiang is acting strange. The Master General is acting strange. Now, my father who also check on the dead helper is acting strange.

If everyone is acting strange. Then something strange is happening.

I look at the dead soldiers. I don't recognize them. Are they new? But I know all the new recruits. I am familiar with their faces. These dead soldiers, I never saw them before.

"Captain Wang,"

We all turn and saw Dayu and another helper from the uniform unit walking towards us while carrying rolls of cloths to bundle the dead before we bury them.

I welcomed him, "Why are you still awake?"

Dayu looked up at me, "Another attack?" He curiously peek at the dead soldiers but averted his eyes quickly like he can't take looking at them for long.

I understood. Dayu has a soft heart after all.

"I think they got unlucky unlike us. They were killed..."

"Shh..." I took the rolls of cloth from him and pass it to Mei. I held Dayu's elbow to take him and guide him away from the dead. "Are you done with your work?"

He nodded, "Should I wait in your cabin?"

"Yes," with another attack happening, I don't want him out of my sight more. "Lock the door after you enter. I will knock when I finish with this case." I stole a light caress on his cheek and he nodded obediently.

I watch him leave with the other helper. Then I turn back to the generals.

I look at Mei and Jiang, their eyes are following Dayu and the other helper.

Now even my second in command is acting strange. I think it's time that I knew what really is going on.

After supervising the burial of the dead soldiers with Jiang we walk to the well to clean up. Mei is still with the soldiers burying the dead to make sure that all will be well until every last dead are buried properly.

"What really happened Jiang?" I asked him in a quiet tone as I splashed water on my body. "And don't give me that load of bull's shit about an attack. Those soldiers died under another soldier's sword and dagger. And those are not your soldiers although your second in command died. Now tell me what is really happening!"

Jiang looked at me before he splash water in his face. He looked left and right to make sure we were alone on that well.

"The second helper didn't get taken. Mei and I saved him. Your precious Dayu was taken in the forest by those people posing as our soldiers and tried to kill him,"

I stared at him. Stunned. My brain blanked a moment at the implication of his words.

"D-dayu?"

Jiang nodded, "This afternoon, the Master General asked me to take Dayu as a volunteer on patrol duty but I refused saying Mr.Shu already gave us volunteers from the helper's rank. But I think he asked my second in command behind my back because Dayu was with that group when I send them to their route."

"And?"

"I came back from my patrol, saw Mei and asked him if the other team came back already. He said no and I had a bad feeling so I asked Mei to come with me and search for them. We found Dayu running for his life while those soldiers chased him. They already killed the other helper. We had no choice but to help Dayu and kill them. Qing ah, I killed my second in command for your lover."

I stared at Jiang. Willing him to say that everything was a big jest and none of that really happened.

Jiang gave me a frustrated look, "Qing ah, I think you have to talk to your father. Ask him if he really have to kill the poor helper to get rid of him. Or you can leave the poor boy so this won't happen again..."

"Are you ridiculing me? Can you leave Mei? If you can do that then tell me again to leave Dayu!" I angrily kick a bucket. It broke.

"Quiet down!" Jiang pushed me. "Then protect that boy! Because I think your father and the Master General is not happy about your association with him. What on Earth is going on Qing ah? For them to try to kill that boy, what is their goal?"

I sighed, "They want me to marry the first born princess of the Emperor. I said no,"

Jiang laughed humorlessly, "I bet you let them down oh so gently. Knowing you. What? They threatened your lover and you threatened them back? When will you learn to be diplomatic Qing ah? Not everyone will be scared on your bulllike attitude. Sometimes finesse is the key..."

"I will kill Mei," I surprised him.

Jiang'a eyes widen, "I see. Fuck diplomacy then..." he sighed. "Fine! I understand! Now what will you do?"

"Now I will show them diplomacy," I smiled coldly before I left Jiang.

I think my friend is right. I have to straighten one or two things to my father.