~14~

John/ Cappy

"I give up!" I yelled as she stood up from the driver's seat.

Nothing, her face was closed, the sunglasses back protecting her eyes. Now at the boot I made a move and grabbed for her, lifting her, legs off the ground kicking and she was smacking again, yelling abuse as I manhandled her to the grassy verge.

"Don't you ever touch me again" She spat the words in my face, as I dumped her in the clover, she was up and back to the carboot in seconds. I pranked with her, pretending to grab her again and made her laugh "Don't!"

Reaching in her guitar case she plucked a fresh pack of cigarettes and shared, even after all that, she shared.

The water spread away on one side and the hills lifted on the other, the road was clear, not another soul in sight.

"Where are we?" Clare, I like that name, spoke as she leaned back on the bright green stripe of grass by the water.

"Just about to Inveraray, I think"

"You have one job mister map reader, one job and you think we're nearly at a place that sounds quite like the place we were at this morning" She lifted her sunnies, and rubbed her eyes, tiredly.

"Not much sleep in the car then" I smiled and she growled. There, much better. "And we were at Inverbeg not- "

"Geez I know that" She brought her knees up and rested her elbows on them, gazing about "It's nice, I think it will be nice at the cottage"

"Yea, bit different to LA, for sure" I must have being too nicey nice playing with the bits of clover plucking at the petals of the tiny leaf as I chatted as she suddenly sprang into action.

"Righteo get your sorry arse in the car I don't want to be stuck all day in there with you" She clambered up. Dusting the cigarette ash off her pant leg, flicking an ant away.

"Lovely, a naturalist" I pointed to where the ant had been moments before. She wasn't looking, just patting her pockets. Triumphantly pulling out the car keys.

"Hey, I don't go starkers at the beach!"

"Not nudist, naturalist- as in love nature, don't kill poor defenceless ants" I leaned over the top of the car as she huffed about being naked, not too bad a thought.

"OH"

"Yeah, OH, really" I hopped in the car, scratching my arm, then flicked the ravenous ant that was now attacking my limbs.

"You got bitten too, that is so funny!" she smiled then covered her mouth at my killing the ant "Oh no, murderer"  She laughed then stalled the engine making me laugh too.

"Onward driver! Campbelltown or bust!"

Glancing over, I noticed the smile was still there curling her lips up. Pretty, very pretty.

"Don't say bust, I'll have to pee"

"Plenty of trees your side"

"Really..... nah. I'll wait" She steeled her jaw.

"Sure?? Don't need a tinkle, running rivers, lots of water my side, look at that, gushing everywhere" My head almost hit the window as she pulled up and ran across the road to a suitable bushy bush.

Yep.

Always works.

As she walked back to the car she noticed me watching. She pretended to be a guy and fix her tackle, shake a leg and pull the jeans from her tight bum. I shook my head as she got back in, she turned and watched me laugh.

"Pervert"

"Tart"

"Dimwit"

"Prick Tease"

Her eyebrows shot up and I nearly thought she would thump me again but no she smiled a little and put her seat belt on.

She smirked, the car started and we were off once again ....