~15~

Clare

I turned the key, the car chugged a bit, huffing and coughing, I tried reving the engine to get it to kick over, it was almost there, then it died. I tried again and again, then Cap pulled me up, the battery would be stuffed.

The car wouldn't start.

"It's your fault you know, toileting behind trees"

"Shut up! Who did the waterworks noises" I groaned and went for the keys again the hand on my shoulder stopped me and I decided the steering wheel needed a dent from my head bumping into it, continuously.

"Com' on. We need to walk. No fuckers going to drive past" He stepped out and locked his side doors, I followed suit but grabbed a coat just in case.

So, there we were walking, bloody miles... it was very scenic- pretty glens that were cool and shady then fields of short grass with soft fluffy marshmallow like sheep dotted across, thistles grew where the ditch was deep and the purple bulbs with sharp spikes were like Scottish version of roses- thorns and beauty all rolled up into one.

He strode off, like a king of his domain and I lagged kicking gravel and dirt that lay on the verge beside the dark blue road. Midday had me famished and his 'should be just round the corner' had me scurrying to overtake then, as I made the corner, he would laugh at the next straight of blue metal and sheep.

"Surely, we must be almost there it's like three o'clock" I whined, I can usually contain the whining but I felt like I was dying of hunger and my mouth was dry, did I even have a glass of water this morning?

"Patience, child"

"I'm not your bloody child, grandfather"

"It was a term of endearment" Cap was stride for stride now we were pretty much the same height but he seemed to have longer legs than my stumps and I had to trot at times to catch up.

"What?! Calling me immature. Thanks"

"You're welcome"

"It wasn't a – . Never mind"

"How old are you anyhow?" He looked out the corner of his eye sizing me up and I knew, just knew, a taunt was hovering on his lips under that stupid ugly beard. "forty-one?"

"What?!  your age"

"No prizes for second best, luv"

"Thirty if you must know, nearly thirty-one"

"Thirty-two" He grumbled like it was the end of the world "...birthdays in October"

"Whoopsy do, please forgive me if I forget to send a card"

"Not nice, come on can't we just get along for this bit, looks like we will have to get rooms, the car won't be towed and fixed today"

"Wonderful"

"Yes, its great, get to meet the real people, mix and mingle with the townsfolk"

"You sound like the bloody king making an unexpected visit to his realm, I wouldn't be surprised if you started collecting taxes"

"You are very NOT funny. Look enjoy; fresh air, sheep, more sheep, I know you liked those thorny thistles back there" Cap swung an arm round my shoulder and I pulled up. "Gee girl what happened in your past life"

"I. I just. Never mind, let's go. It's going to rain, hurry up" I started jogging slowly but it was faster than the snail pace of before, the rain started right then and he called me names because, apparently, it was my 'fault'.

The gas station was the first thing I saw and I bolted to the awning out the front, respite from the downpour that was now filling my shoes and my bra with water!?, I know right, it sat like a dam inside, and as I ran it sloshed, I could feel and hear it.

The kid that sat on the chair by the door looked me up and down.

"Miss" He was older than I first thought about twenty- three his round face was still babyish and cute a smattering of freckles and reddish copper hair, he was quite nice looking. I smiled, my hair limp, dripping and water dripped down over my eyes. He ran and got a dry but dirty looking towel.

"Hi, um, we broke down up that way, do you have a towy, mechanic?"

"Sure do, I'll go get dad" He disappeared and Cap decided to finally turn up, his beard was not holding up in the weather and he had to hold it to his face.

The lad came back and stood close offering another towel and his warmth, I could feel it as he handed it over, Cap got nothing. I don't even think the boy even saw my companion the way I was getting the attention, a sweet blush warmed his cheeks as I touched his hand accepting the towel with a smile.

"Hello there, aye got a broke car have ye?" Dad sauntered out and Cap took over while the lad pulled me inside to a heater and warm tea. I left the mechanic and cap to it. Shivering, I held my hands out to the fire that was in the back room, a blanket found my shoulders.

"Thank-you" My teeth chattered and  the boy made it his job to warm my arms, hands sliding up and down quickly and I accepted the way he warmed my skin.

"There you are" The dad walked in and winked at his boy and a red face met mine, I stepped back and bumped into Cap, parked behind me, still shivering by the way "Come on lad, lets pick up this couples car and let them walk down to the inn"

The room was empty and I handed the blanket to Cap to dry off.

"Couple" He laughed "Wow that would be some sort of hell"

"Where's the inn" I wasn't in the mood to chat about hell and us being a couple or not in it. I longed for a hot bath.