~43~

Clare

I sat on his tummy like I was atop a throne, he let me.

I wasn't playing the damn guitar though. He was a jealous guy wasn't he. Silly Cappy.

I smiled broadly and he slid me down beside him. He was jealous over me. I've never had anyone jealous or lose their head over me, it's quite potent really.

Like ribbons he played with my hair curling it round his fingers and the night bled into the moonlight.

Moving the curtain back I fell on the bed and snuggled close. I wasn't experienced enough for heartbreak and dreaded leaving the safety of the cottage, he wouldn't follow, he has his own path to tread.

"Clare" he murmured above me, my ear by his heart. "I'm getting a divorce. I'm going to get divorced"

Which is it?

Is divorced -past tense. No he didn't say it like that.

Getting divorced – present tense.

or

Going to – future tense.

"Which is it Cap? You are presently getting divorced or you're thinking about getting divorced in the future?" I looked up at the man that has my heart and doesn't know it yet. Chin on hand, I watched him from my position on his chest.

"Clare isn't me saying that enough"

"It's not to do with me anyway but I was just enquiring, you're very ambiguous in your statement" I lay back down, maybe me prodding him with a big stick is a mistake but he caught my attention and blowed if I'm going to ignore the damn carrot.

"Going to. When I return to the states, I'm going to file for a divorce. There happy?!" He grumbled. Such a baby.

"No, I'm not happy, I don't get anything from this so why grumble about my asking when you invited me to" I sat up, his fingers unravelling from my hair "I neither asked you, pushed you or even proposed to you. So your divorce doesn't touch me. There, I said what I said and it was wrong and now there's all thissss"

"Why did you say that?"

"What?"

"I said what I said etcetera, etcetera "

"It's my go to line when I piss someone off and create a huge god-awful mess"

"Do you do that often?"

"What do you think!"

"I should use that" He stood and unfolded up off the bed and I stopped him.

"You can't, it's my line"

"No. No, it's not Clare" He slung the words over his shoulder like an empty rucksack, flat against my ears. Damn him walking off to the bathroom when I have witty retorts to deliver.