~53~

John

The moment the car pulled up I saw broken pieces of my life littered on the pavement. She stood blankly, unseeing and I ended up taking her by the elbow to get her into the car.

Vanessa looked on curiously but got in without question.

"So, there's the pool, Julian has bought out the lolly shop so lots to eat and as you can see plenty of inflatable pool toys to use" I took over, I'd been better with Jules over the past few years so was used to what kids needed to be happy. Vanessa hung back but Julian soon had her screaming with laughter.

"Come on" I took Clare away and we wandered through the house. Stopping to glance back, Clare hesitated "It's ok luv, Rosa is out there, she'll be fine"

The strength was sucked right out of her and as she lay on my bed with me sitting beside her, her eyes fell away with tears silently rolling down her cheeks. Stroking her hair, that was longer now, she succumbed, drifting off to sleep.

The day fled through to twilight and Clare was still asleep. The kids, Richie and Rosa took off to the beach and should be back any minute...

"What on earth are you doing?"

"Clare! Finally, I thought you had turned into sleeping bloody beauty!" I smiled at her bed hair and relaxed features and she just pointed toward the mass of charred remains in front of me "Burning sausages of course, can't you tell"

"I could smell the disaster from the bedroom" The cupid lips lifted ever so slightly and her eyes looked about then settled back on mine. I turned off the hotplate and gathered up guitar girl to me. "I missed you Cappy, so much"

"I missed us too" The space around us closed in and I was back to Scotland and we were alone "Want me to get my beard?"

"No, ewww! Where are Julian and Vanessa?"

"At the beach, they'll be back soon"

"Did she even wonder where I was, I've slept the day away!"

"I took her in to see you before they went off to the beach, she kissed your cheek" I watched Clare and a spark lit softly in her eyes. "We decided on having a sleepover too so don't be a stick in the mud when they start settling in for the night!"

"But I didn't bring pyjamas" the old Clare gazed at me, wide eyes and innocence "I'll have to sleep in the buff" she covered her lips in mock indignation.

"Suits me, saves time" She slapped me then we snuggled on the lounger by the pool waiting for the troops to come home to fill their stomachs with charred remains.

*******************

"They're asleep. How can they stay up so late!?" Clare tiptoed out of the middle of the lounge room "Ringo's the biggest kid here by the way!"

Richie was sound asleep on the right, Julian in the middle and Vanessa to the left. The floor was littered with chip packets and popcorn, it had been great. Laughter rang out many times during the evening and Clare was content, happy even for Vanessas happier state.

"Richie loves kids, misses his I guess too. Come on I need to check out your new jim jams"

"Jim jams?"

"I need to see your pyjamas, Clare"

"I don't have - never mind" She gave up when she saw my face. "Well at least some things never change"

The bathroom light streamed brightly, she disappeared, the door shutting quietly. Then minutes later she wandered back out, the liberation evident as she crawled up the bed to lie comfortably atop me. She wasn't shy anymore. We were Cap and Guitar girl, John and Clare.

She cried but I kissed her tears away and the love we made was emotional, charged and melancholy.

We lay quietly for a while until she smiled......and returned.

Now I was present to witness my Clares' reprisal.

Scotland's carefree Clare's return.

As she winds me round her little fingers, then her whole hand, as she takes her time and kisses.

Bringing me back to attention, she straddled and rode her way back to ecstasy with me chasing her all the way.

"Stay" I stroked hands down her back as she lay still, atop me. Her hair falling around her, over me. "Even a few days, like a holiday for Vanessa"

"You're a dirty player using a little girl as a way to get your own sexual gratification from me" She giggled and I felt a twitch, shit three times in under an hour! Nothing wrong with me in me thirties.. "You're on top this time, Cap" 

I swung her over and under. Kissed her body reacquainting myself with all those special places that make her moan madly.

"My god, you're an animal" Her body took flight and she pressed close around me.

"Stay darlin'" I was a bad, bad boy asking as I loved her "Stay" 

She moaned and I kissed her again and again, underhanded- yes, purposely- yes "Clare............." We arched.

"Yes, you horses' tail" She bit her lip and kissed me back to LA gently.

"Yessss"