Chapter 14

The Kingdom of Hell
Micah's POV

I confessed. I kept my promise with Airick, and told Lucifer my feelings. He seemed happy. That's good, right? But, I felt that every time anyone brought up the wedding, he would get grumpy. He's the one who suggested it, so why is he so upset? Did he... Not want to?

Either way, the wedding was approaching with anticipation. Azazel helped me find a suit that fit, and even told me that Lucifer's would match. I had blushed at the thought, but thanked him anyway.

I lay in Lucifer's lap, humming softly and looking at the difference table cloths. A deep red fabric, and a dark black lay in my hands. I looked at Lucifer. "What do you think?" I asked.

"Think? About what?"

"Which color do you like best?"

"Eh... Red?"

"Yeah. Me too."

I set the black one down, holding the red one firmly. Lucifer turned away once more, his eybrows furrowed. "Are you okay?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Well, you had this look on your face."

"Oh... Nothing."

I frowned. Why wouldn't he tell me? Does he not trust me? "Lucifer, can't you-"

"No! Look, just leave it alone, okay? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm needed in the judgment room." Lucifer got up, causing me to fall to the floor. "Ow!" My arm ran across the sharp edge of the table, a long cut appearing. Azazek rushed over, helping me bandage it with a first aid kit he got from who-knows-where.

"Don't mind Lucifer. He's just... Worried, about the wedding. Give him some space, okay?"

But I could tell he wasn't. Not really. He didn't even seem to care about the wedding. The one that he suggested! But all I said was, "Yeah... Maybe you're right."

---

Lucifer began avoiding me anytime something for the wedding came up. Flowers? In the bridge. Cake? In the town. Guest list? Grooming Cerberus.

I sighed, looking down at my bandaged arm. Lucifer had yet to notice the large cut that had begun to scar. In fact, he had yet to even speak to me this past week! I had given him space, as Azazel had suggested, and we had barely seen each other at all.

"Maybe he wants to cancel the wedding." Seth said at dinner. Airick and Seth began to make a weekly visit, and joined us for dinner. Well,joined me and Azazel for dinner. "But, why would he cancel when he was the one who suggested it?" I asked. Azazel seemed to pale at this, but I brushed it off. "I mean, it seems kind of strange, doesn't it?"

Seth and Airick nodded. "Yes, I do agree. If he had promised a wedding, surely he should follow through?" Airick seemed just as annoyed as I was. More so, even. I smiled, grateful for their support.

---

I awoke to the sound of hushed yelling, the clock beside me reading midnight. I got up, creeping to the door and peeking out. Azazel had his arms crossed, glaring at Lucifer. "All I'm saying is, you're at fault for telling him that!" Lucifer was saying.

"I wouldn't have had to if you acted like you cared!" Azazel whisper-yelled back.

I got the sense they were talking about me, but I wasn't sure what they were arguing about. "Why do I have to change?! I've lived alone for thousands of years and suddenly I have to change my attitude for a human boy you brought in?"

"You're the one who told me to 'find you a cute bride.' If you weren't going to even care, why would you have me do it?!"

"Because I wanted a distraction! Not some stupid wedding! Give me a break, I was bored!"

I froze, the conversation leaving me with a pit in my stomach. He... Didn't want me? I'm just a distraction? Lucifer... Didn't even choose me. He wanted some silly human to take his mind off of things. No wonder he was so against a wedding. He wasn't even the one who wanted it. Azazel had me wrapped up in a lie, thinking that Lucifer actually wanted to me.

The two continued their arguing, and I went back to the bed. Tears rolled down my cheeks while I sobbed silently into the pillow. It hurt, more than I thought it would. I suppose the ruler of the underworld would do that; make your life a living Hell.