みやこ

miyako
みやこ

...---...
[Five Years Ago]

Two hundred and fifty-two days, she thought as she climbed out of her bed. Her roommates did the same, almost simultaneously, as if they were robots. She then reached under her bed and took out her box full of clothes--which was nothing but uniforms, the same that everyone else wore.

Even when fifty days passed after she realized she was being imprisoned, she never gave up.

Even one hundred days later, she never faltered.

Even up to today, two hundred and fifty-two days later, her hope never diminished.

The entire time she was held inside the building, she was being trained. Everyday, she woke up and was moved into a training area. There, the men lead groups of children to different stations. They were forced to train and practice five and a half hours a day, followed by three and a half hours of 'school.'

Whatever words they tried to feed her, she refused to listen. The other orphans gave in quickly and followed their orders. But because she was so stubborn and resistant, she ended up being beaten down.

"Why do you do it?" One boy asked her after she was shoved into a wall and forced to hold back her cries as they used their bats to knock her down further. The boy donned the same clothing as her, but she could make out the outlines of a notebook and brush in his pockets. From the way he looked, she assumed he was at least three years younger than her. He looked at her, void of emotion, but she could tell he was curious.

"I have hope," she said when the guards were looking away. "That one day, we'll all be freed. Our leader is only using us as tools. One day, a better person will step in and take control. And I will protect that person with my life."

The boy only retorted that her dream was worthless. "Our life is here now. There is no escape. The faster you accept that, the less you will resist."

"I will never accept that. I will never give up." She replied, eyes burning with determination. "If it even takes all my blood, sweat and tears, I'll keep trying just to prevent myself from ending up like you...a hopeless coward."

That was the one thing that made her different from the rest, the boy thought as his onyx eyes gazed into the raging fire of the girl's eyes. He ignored the harsh comment he received.

She has hope, she has determination. She will never give up.

"I like your stubborn attitude," the boy opined. "What's your name?" In response, she showed him the mask from the side of her uniform--the one that would forever remind her of her place, even if she broke out of the hell she was in.

She asked for his name.

"Sai. My name is Sai."

...---...