みやこ

miyako
みやこ

...---...

The soldier knew nothing, like all the other seventeen-year old orphans. But she heard it--

Boom. Crackle. Shake.

The cycle repeated for three more times before it finally stopped. Annoyed from the mini-earthquakes that shook her bed, she got up. She pinned her hair into a ponytail before changing into her uniform--a set of thick, dark clothing with a butterfly mask. She brushed the loud, quivering boom and shake noises as a simple training match that was taken too far.

That was until she heard the siren in the room go off, signalling the orphans to gear up and report to the auditorium. She tightened her ponytail as the other orphans woke up to the siren, faces impassive. Although she had been held prisoner inside this place for at least two years, she never got used to having such a face--one that looked like death itself.

As the orphans made their way to the auditorium, she couldn't help but wonder what those loud noises were. The noises were going off for far too long, longer than an average training match would be, so it wasn't that. As the seconds flew by, the sounds got louder and more powerful. What could it be?

When Danzo appeared, his face was emotionless as always.

"As you may know, an attack has occurred. It is located on the farthest side of Konoha, and the people must not know of it. " Danzo stated. "We are to aid them." That was all the man said, before he left the room. 'Them'? Who's 'them'? She thought. Danzo's followers lead the geared-up orphans outside the building--one of the very few times they were allowed outside.

She felt like closing her eyes once the sun hit her skin. She felt a warm feeling rise in her chest as her skin bathed in the sunlight. The warm air hit her pale skin, making it feel...alive, rather than the cold, pale deathly feeling.

But she the saw it. She held in her gasps while the other orphans flinched at the sight.

Boom. Crackle. Shake.

Screams.

Fire was raging in the field. It was unmistakable; anyone could spot the huge wildfires, whose red hot tongues licked the air and rose to the sky. The fire was reflected off the orphans' dark eyes, and their fear grew.

"We're here to help them," she thought. "No need to be afraid. We just have to do our job."

As the orphans walked through the burning village, the group was split into five teams. Her team ran into the center--oh, how the adrenaline surged through her veins as the wind brushed past her.

But as the team neared the edge of the forest, they heard many passersby-villagers screaming. They made a move to rescue them, but Danzo's followers (they split up to lead the teams) prevented them from doing so.

One boy decided to speak up. "Hey! There are a bunch of people getting hurt for no reason! We gotta save them!"

Danzo's follower immediately disappeared from his spot in a flash. For a moment, they were left in silence, until--

"Gah! Let me go!"

The Team turned to the boy that spoke up, only to find him being held in the air while the man was choking him. Although the boy wore a mask, anyone could see his terrified expression.

And then he was dropped. Danzo's follower merely walked away.

"That should teach you. Shut your mouth and learn your place."