Chapter Twenty-Two

うちはサスケ
Sasuke Uchiha
"Hideki."

...---...

He was confused. After that one-sided talk with Naruto (it was mostly the blonde talking while he interjected with 'hns'), he left, in a quick pace.

I just realized it. Something has been...wrong, and it's not the time travel stuff. It's just...

I can't help you if you can't tell me, dobe.

Shut up teme! It's just, I expected my life to be like--I'll become Hokage, I'll marry a beautiful, strong kunoichi, who'd be Hinata, and we'd have an awesome family. It be perfect. It didn't even ask for much, excluding the Hokage part. But then the war came, and even then, I would've thought that something was wrong....

What was it?

I don't know! Got it? I just...it didn't feel right.

Not with becoming Hokage?

No--I meant not with Hinata.

Okay, so maybe he did interject with more than a few 'hn's, but that wasn't the point. The point was, Naruto's perfect dream he had before wasn't what he wanted in reality. It puzzled Sasuke.

"But you dated Hinata for two years--"

"How did you know?"

"Dobe, you're not the best at pretending to go to the medical tent. Seriously, ramen and water for a dinner date? I thought you'd do at least a bit better."

Then what did Naruto want? Sasuke shook his head the moment the thought was formed. No, it's not that that scares me...

If he didn't want his dream girl,

Who did he want?--

Gah, why am I thinking this?

I have a Massacre to worry about.

Dang it Naruto.

...---...

"Mata kondo da."
Maybe next time.

...---...

The moon was high this night. It towered over the entire village, and with it came the cool night breeze. The trees swayed and the leaves were plucked away with the wind. The stars twinkled, peaking out from the black sheet splayed across the sky--it was a beautiful night.

But was it really?

Hideki wondered as he stared out the window of his apartment. The action was proved useless--his window did not display the view of the Uchiha Compound, so why try? But the growing desperation and hope in his chest overpowered those thoughts.

Am I really desperate? He wondered as he watched the trees lean and careen slightly.

He waited until he heard it.