Summer Earnings

The afternoon sun beat down on the cement sidewalks and paved road. If one were to walk barefoot on those surfaces, their feet would surely be burned. Granted, few traveled outside due to the excessive heat. Unlike the many human residents of Gasper Drive, the nonhuman animals had to remain out in the heat unless they were the select cats and dogs, which resided in their owners' homes. So, some of the birds flitted their wings and sat on the branches of trees, which were covered with shade from the many leaves. Occasionally, a squirrel would run up a tree and into its woody home for cool comfort.

Some squirrels poked their heads out of their homes at the sound of footsteps on the sidewalk. The individual was one of the few that walked out in the high afternoon heat. Of course, this person had prepared for the temperature and was wearing attire that was suited for the weather.

A cotton white v-neck, beige shorts and sand brown flip-flops adorned their form. Their (h/c) hung loosely, and their (e/c) eyes were covered with a simple pair of black sunglasses. On their left wrist was a pale green wristwatch, which read twelve in the afternoon. Upon their back was a pale green backpack, which had a voodoo doll keychain on it. This keychain had hair and eyes, which were a different color on each side. Covering its figure was a simple dress and cloak.

(F/n) turned her gaze towards one of the trees, lining the sidewalk on the west side of the street. She caught sight of the squirrels watching her. They instantly scurried back into their home. A small smile tugged at her lips, and she shook their head at their shyness. Their behavior was understandable, though. After all they didn't know what her intentions were, so it was perfectly reasonable for them to hide from her.

Regardless of the squirrels, though, she wished to get out of the heat. She didn't have to walk far to her destination, since it was in the same neighborhood as her home. So, at least there was that positive aspect. There was also the fact that she would be making money off of this expedition. To add to this, all she would have to do was watch a house for two weeks. From the simple action, she would be making a thousand dollars. Luckily, the owner of the home wasn't subtracting the food and utility costs off of that amount.

She would have never thought that her parents knowing the antique collector in her neighborhood, Nathan, would have any benefit. Sure, the man was nice, but he always seemed off in his own world. This made communicating with him somewhat difficult, but her parents had managed to form a friendship with him, since they were lovers of antiques as well. That would explain the reason why they met her neighbor in an antique store rather than outside on the streets of Gasper.

Thus, when Nathan came over to her parents' house to ask for a house sitter, her parents asked if she could watch over his house. They explained that every bit of money would help with her college funds. Hearing this, Nathan agreed and explained her simple job: stay in the house and watch over it, except for when buying groceries.

Keeping all of this in mind, she was just glad to earn some extra money for college. Thankfully, she only had one year left before she graduated. The twenty-one year old was excited to step out into the world and do something with her art degree. Of course, it wouldn't be easy to find a job right out of graduation, but she was starting to gather her connections. Already, she had managed to get a hold of a major artist who had contacts of their own.

Such a meeting had occurred accidently in a grocery store a few weeks ago. (F/n) had been retrieving groceries for her parents, since they were allowing her to live with them for as long as she needed. So, it made sense to help out every now and then. During her shopping trip, she had been examining the grocery list and had accidently run into someone. She quickly apologized only to recognize the person as a famous artist. This artist specialized in painting mesmerizing images of the sky. Taken aback by such an encounter, her words became stuck in her mouth, as she could only stutter. After probably thirty seconds of awkwardness, she was able to compliment her.