Happiness and Sadness

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

By the time that I gave up on my warnings and worked out my plan, the distraction had already cheated on Nathan with both. Of course, I could never tell the exact time of a person's fortune, only that it would happen sometime in the future, but the signs of the distraction's infidelity were obvious to me. She would be gone from the house for long periods of time and return late in the evening. Where beforehand, she would be in the house almost constantly, only going out when Nathan was taking her somewhere.

Not only this but also she would come back with the smell of a different cologne than Nathan's. She explained that it was because she was testing out different scents for Nathan to see which one she liked best for him. Somehow Nathan bought that excuse, even though it was only ever two distinct scents. There were other signs as well, and Nathan turned a blind eye to them all it seemed.

One day, I approached him and told him what I would do. He laughed me off like usual, even though I stated that I was serious. I didn't let his disbelief stop me; I considered that I was a doing a favor for him. It was a gift to free him from that horrible nuisance. He would see that I was the one who deserved his attention all along.

When he went off to purchase an antique out of town, I executed the plan. The distraction was just waking up and exiting Nathan's room. I was leaning against the wall opposite the door and smiled to her. Catching her attention, she stopped and asked, "Is there something that you need, Drem? In the past you haven't waited outside my bedroom door."

It was wrong of her to call it her bedroom door; it was Nathan's. Just hearing that statement almost had made me lose my mask. "Well, yes, I had something in mind. You see, I've noticed that you've grown bored with Nathan. Or rather, that you're not satisfied with just having him. Am I correct in this assumption?"

An inviting gleam crossed her eyes, as a chuckle left her lips. "So, you're willing to give me more satisfactory pleasure than your friend?" The nuisance stepped forward and draped her arms across my shoulders and batted her eyelashes at me. Inwardly, I had wished to vomit and shove the disgusting distraction away. "I wouldn't mind. Sleeping all alone at night; it makes me wonder why you haven't asked sooner."

Instead, I forced myself to intentionally eye her form slowly, making sure that she noticed. I gripped the sides of her of hips and backed her into Nathan's room. Seductive and descriptive promises slipped through my lips until I pushed her onto the bed. Not even a moment escaped before she had her lips pressed to mine. How atrocious they tasted, like the sickly sweet scent of a decaying rose.

As the taste filled my mouth and nearly caused me to gag, she took no notice and stripped herself of her dress. She was too enraptured in her unfaithfulness to notice the glint of the knife in the morning light, or how it was descending upon her lecherous self. Instantly, I spit out the crimson that filled my mouth and pulled away. The life faded from her dishonest eyes, while pain and shock were her last feelings.

Getting off of the bed, I stepped back and tossed the knife to the side, pleased with the result of my efforts. I couldn't wait until Nathan would get home and see the gift. During my wait, I pulled out some of my strawberry-watermelon gum and chewed on it to pass the time and to rid the taste of her blood from my mouth.