One Step Closer?

**Weekly Update! I just realize that this story is slooooow build that I need to update more or the chapter need more longer..

Taehyung's Apartment—Daebong-ro, Daegu 260; Sunday Evening

"Jaemin? You've been awfully quiet all day. Are you in any pain?," Taehyung studied his friend carefully from his place on the couch. Jaemin was sitting sideways in a somewhat awkward position in one of the recliners; his legs were hanging over one of the rolled arms and he was staring out of the large picture window. His eyes, however, looked unfocused as if he weren't really looking at anything specific.

Taehyung sighed softly. The other man had been just as quiet on the ride home yesterday. He knew how disappointed he must be at their failure to accomplish anything in Busan, but he had expected Jaemin would be a little more communicative by today. "Jaeemin?," He tried again, this time a little louder.

Finally, Taehyung heard him whisper, "Physical pain or mental pain?,"

Jaemin continued to stare absentmindedly out the window as the rain continued unabated from earlier today. Just as well, he couldn't help thinking. It matches my mood perfectly right now—dreary.

Taehyung looked over at Jaemin sympathetically. He couldn't begin to truly understand what the other man was going through, but he knew it had to be extremely upsetting as well as frustrating. Slowly, he stood up from his place on the couch and walked over to the other man, kneeling down in front of him. As he reached up to take the undamaged right hand in both of his, Jaemin finally refocused his eyes downward to meet the darker brown ones. "Talk to me, Jaemin," Taehyung implored.

"What would you have me say, Taehyung?," Jaemin whispered bitterly, his voice breaking. "Thanks for the trip, I had a really good time? Glad we had the GPS so I could see another doctor, who gave me the same fucking bullshit I've heard for the last week?," Jaemin pantomimed, "'We don't know if you'll regain your memory, the brain's a very tricky organ. We still don't know much about how it functions. You just have to be patient'!," His eyes started watering in despair. "Do you have any idea how fucking much I despise that word?,"

Despite the seriousness of the conversation, Taehyung had to smile a little. "Yeah, I think I might," He replied softly, his face quickly turning sober again. He subconsciously rubbed his thumbs over the other man's hand as he continued, "Look. I won't insult you by pretending that I understand what you're going through, because I don't. All I can do is be honest with you and try to give you as much advice and support as I can. I wish I could do better—I really do—but that's all I can realistically promise you. I think I know you well enough at least to know that you don't want a lot of empty promises and bullshit."

Jaemin bit his lip in distress. "No, I don't want to be lied to or deceived," He confirmed stubbornly to the other man. "But I don't know how much more of this I can take. None of it seems to make any sense. You know what I dreamed about last night?," As Taehyung shook his head, he advised him, "I dreamed I was in some house I didn't know and I was dancing around to some stupid, childhood song with a little, dark-haired boy. We were both holding hands and swinging each other around, having a great time. But you know what? The boy was calling me Poppa, like I was his father! How fucked up is that? How is that possible?,"

Taehyung looked at him, mirroring the other man's puzzlement. "I don't know," He replied honestly. "Maybe—maybe this dream was all it was just a dream. Maybe it's not based on reality. I mean, we don't always have dreams about things that actually have happened, or people we actually know. I have dreams all the time about dating Lee MinHo," He joked, trying to hopefully lighten the other man's mood somehow.