Chapter 6

Upon the announcement that we'd have to head down to the gym for the assembly and skipping was not at all an option I decided to leave Betty and Veronica in favor of finding my number one. "Hey," I say as I reach Jughead. He's sprawled out claiming the back side of the mezzanine. His laptop resting on his lap and his bag perched beside him. If I didn't know how I comfortable those seats are I'd think he somehow found a way to be comfortable. Finally he looks up to see me.

"Hi," he says scooting over slightly allowing me some space to sit. I take the spot and he stares over at me. "You ditched me."

"I love you?" I offer up in response. He rolls his eyes at ny words then looks back to his laptop. He starts typing away but then deletes whatever he just wrote. "Your Novel?"

"Yep," He says going back to his work. I move laying my head on his shoulder and look down to the words. Trying to force myself not to read them yet.

"Hows it going?" I ask him, "the writing I mean."

"Well I guess," he says trying to focus, "it's hard to write about a case you know almost nothing about."

"I'm sure you can manage," I say to him. He smiles at the comment but keeps his attention on the words. His fingers moving quickly across the keys in an almost majestic fashion. "As your best friend," I start, "I request to read it first when you are done."

"But you aren't my best friend," he teases. Real witty. I smirk back at him.

"I'm your only friend," I say to him, "unless you count Archie? But even when you guys are talking you hardly ever count him a friend because a loner with two friends."

"Your criticism isn't appreciated," he says to me.

"Then admit that I am you best friend," I say to him, "and that I can read your novel first."

"You Can read it now-"

"No!" I exclaim, "I want to be the first person to read it as a whole. Start to finish."

"Sure," He says simply.

"Wow I get a 'sure'" I say critiquing the choice of words, "you are a writer and you can't come up with something better?"

"Yes and now shut up it's starting," Jug says to me. I follow the demand lowering my voice as Cheryl takes the stage. Her bright red hair seems to glow under the lights. All eyes unfortunately are on her.

"Let's have a moment of silence for my brother Jason," Cheryl says. It's more of a demand then a request. The room falls quiet in respect for the dead boy. Beside me Jug fidgets in his seat as if to make a point of his presence. "Thank you for that moment of silence. Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and every one of you meant the world to Jason. I loved my brother. He was and always will be my soulmate." Soulmate? That's an interesting way to refer to your twin. "So I speak with the confidence only a twin could have Jason wouldn't want us to spend the year mourning." I look over at Jughead who was rolling his eyes and fidgeting again. He and I both know it. This is bullshit. Jason Blossom doesn't give a damn about what's happening. He's dead and that's the end for him. "Jason would want us to move on with our lives. Which is why I've asked the School Board not to cancel the Back-to-School semiformal," the room started cheering as Cheryl tries to continue her speech. However no one really cares about her words anymore. I catch Archie staring at one of the teachers with the staff. I watch carefully. Something about her is familiar. Like I've seen her before. "But rather, to let us use it as a way to heal, collectively, and celebrate my brother's too, too short life on this mortal coil. Thank you all." Cheryl finishes and everyone including myself claps in respect. We all are dismissed to class and Jug and I make a point to stay back. He and I stand and he looks to me then pokes into my side.