Chapter 7

At some point in the mess of the day Betty, upon learning Jug and I were going to the dance, she had decided to make an event of getting the dress. So here I am sat on the edge of Betty's bed waiting for her to fix her iconic ponytail and perfect outfit. She looks to me smiling lightly. "You ready to go?" She asks.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I say to her. She chuckles then moves leading us from her room down to the sidewalk. Apparently the little shop wasn't too far. She had mentioned that it was the place for dance dresses in the town. Something I'm sure would prove true.

"Since when do you go to dances?" Betty asks me, "you used to hate them." I shrug.

"You and Archie are going, and I have nothing better to do," I say to her, "besides the ones I've went to since I left have been fun."

"Sure," she says, "but how the hell did you get Jughead to agree to go to a dance?"

"That my friend, I can't even tell you because I don't know," I say honestly, "but I have to buy him a burger at Pops afterwards. Not like that's anything new though."

"Jeez," she says as we walk into the boutique. Isles of dresses and more formal wear isles line the walls. Honestly it's overwhelming. So many colors and sparkles.

"Wow," I say slightly intimated by it all. She smiles and pulls a pink dress of the racks.

"I saw this dress the last time I was here," she says. "It's nice. I think I want something like it." I nod along as I drag my fingers across the fabric of one of the dresses. I don't have the money for any of these. "So.."

"So?" I ask her meeting her eyes. They are soft but standing alert. Something she inherited from her mother.

"Do you still like him?" She asks me simply, "Jughead. Or did that change too?"

"I don't know," I say to her, "honestly so much in my life has changed and I've been through so much. I typically just stand but what I know. And what I know is that I want to be around him. In what context I don't know yet."

"Well he did miss you," she says to me, "he changed when you left. He's more- distant. But I'm starting to see that go away now that you're back."

  "I just hope it stays as nice as it's been," i say to him, "seriously I've felt better since I got here."

"Well what happened in New York? I mean you cut ties with us," she says to me, "it was terrifying. That suddenly you just stopped talking to us. We thought something happened."

"A lot did," i say to her, "but it's in the past. How about this one?" I pull a dress to change the subject.

"I don't like the gems on the top," She says then lifts a black dress up, "how about this?"

"Let me try it," I say, "try yours on I wanna see it."

"Oh alright ," Betty says but before we can move to the dressing rooms she grabs a couple more dresses then pulls me away to the rooms. Once in my room I tackle a dress that Betty grabbed for me. It's blue and had sleeves honestly if it wasn't for the fact it was way too big i might of liked it. Then the next dress a pink was was an automatic no. It was way too small and looked terrible on my body. I'd rather wear a trash bag to the dance then that thing. Finally I try on the last dress. It's nice and fits well. The black dress hugged my body where it needed and made me look really nice. It wasn't too expensive and made me feel good. All the things that I need for a good dress. Betty calls for me to come out so I move through the curtain to reveal the dress to her. I see her in her lovely pink dress first.

"You look amazing Betty!" I say, "god that body! That color! Absolutely stunning."

"Thanks," she says smiling brightly then she looks over me, "and you look amazing the color really brings out your eyes. And I haven't seen you in a dress in years so this is truly a refreshing experience." I chuckle at the comment.