Chapter 11

.I watch as Jughead approaches Diltion.  "And in that moment of hesitation, you're dead. All of you are dead," He says to his scouts. I roll my eyes as I walk closer to them.

"At ease, Doiley. I'm writing an article for the Blue and Gold. Hoping you can help," Jug says.

"Dismissed. But stay close," he says to the row of guys.

"Cheryl and Archie both say they heard a gunshot the morning of July 4th, but they don't know who fired," He says.

"Sherriff Keller already asked me about this. And like I told him, my Scouts and I, we didn't hear anything weird," Diltion says.

"Well, did you see anything weird?"  Jug says. Looking at over at a scout in the distance who kept staring at us.

  "A white-winged crossbill.A long-eared owl.Oh.And Cheryl, sitting by the river, soaking wet," he says.

  "Fuck you Doiley," I say. He rolls his eyes and heads back to his scouts. "Dick," I say.

  "Let's go," Jug says.

******

 I sat on my couch typing my Essay for English when I hear my phone buzz. "Gonna get that," Jug says from beside me. 

  "Yeah hand me my phone," I say. He picks it up and gives it to me 

Betty Boop-  Meet me at the school in the Blue and Gold offices, this Chuck thing is bigger than we thought.

"What does she mean this 'Chuck thing' what happened?" He says staring down at my phone.

"Quit snooping I'm fine," I say, "its nothing just a slight disagreement with that dick."

"What did he do?" He asks.

"Well for starters he faked the sticky maple with Veronica and laughed at us when we told him to take it down," I say.

 "That's not all," He says.

"Oh, and Chuck said some disgusting things to me and Betty," I say.

"What did he say," Jug asks.

"It's fine," I say. He starts to say something but stops before he does. "I have to go we can talk about this later," I say closing my laptop and standing up.

"Yeah sure," He says, "be careful."

"I will," I say as I leave.

*****

"Sorry it took me so long Betty Jughead jus-" I say walking into the room, I stop when I see a whole lot of girls. "Whats going on?"

"All of them are Chuck's victims, I'll explain a little more when V gets here," She says. I Join the room of women but sit off in the corner. As I listen to the girls talk about what happened to them I couldn't help but feel bad. It was two emotion, sympathy, and anger. How the hell could Chuck think this was okay? As we get to a girl named Ethel I hear Veronica's voice from the door.

"Hello?" Veronica says walking towards us looking around at the girls.

"This story is bigger than we thought," Betty says, "I started asking around, to see if what happened to you happened to anyone else and if anyone would go on record."

"I will. 100%," Ethel says.

"Okay," Betty says sympathetically, "It's five guys on the football team. Chuck and his posse.Ethel was about to tell us."

" One day last year, Chuck and I talked in the library for 10 minutes. I helped him with a Pre-Cal problem, and nothing happened. But the next day, he He started telling people that I let him do stuff to me. Like, sex stuff. And then he Or one of his goons, wrote, 'Sloppy seconds' on my locker," Ethel says.

"Yes, yes, we've all heard your tragic origin story," Cheryl says from the door.

"Really Cheryl," I hiss.

"I'm so, so sorry, Ethel. That's horrible," Betty says.

"Not as horrible as being a suspect in your own brother's torture-murder case, but we all have our crosses.In the meantime, River Vixen practice starts in five minutes, sluts, so"

"Shut the fuck up Cheryl!" I say, "It's not about you this time you skank."

"Really?" She says.

"They're ruining our lives, and to them, it's just a game. They keep score and-" Ethel says.

"Wait, what do you mean, keep score?" Veronica says.

"Each conquest earns them points. They keep track in some secret playbook," Ethel says.

"Okay, we have to talk to Weatherbee," Betty says."I already tried. Weatherbee said that he didn't find anything," Ethel says.

"Of course he didn't," I huff, "anything he can do to protect them."

"Okay, we need undeniable proof," Betty says.

"Proof of what, Nancy Drew? That boys will be boys? And that playbook reeks of suburban legend," Cheryl says.

 "Thin line," I say, "she is on a thin line with me Betty." Betty looks over and mouths 'don't'.

"How would you know, Cheryl?" Veronica says.

" Because, Frida Shallow, before he died, my brother was co-captain of the football team with Chuck, and Jason never mentioned it, and he never would've allowed it," Cheryl says.

"Okay, well, I never met your brother, but I'm not lying about what happened to me. And Ethel's not lying. And proof or no proof, book or no book, I am going scorched earth on these privileged, despicable miscreants. You wanna get caught in that backdraft, Cheryl? Call me, or any of these beautiful, young, strong, intelligent women 'slut' one more time," Veronica says. Cheryl huffs.

"Rivervixen practice ladies," She says walking off.

"You think if I kick her as I'll get a pass because of my mother's murder?" I ask, "Like sorry she just hit a trigger and I couldn't stop myself."

"They might assume you did something in the Jason case," Betty says.

"But I liked Jason," I say, "He was fine, I've just always hated that red-headed she-devil."

"That makes two of us," Veronica says.

*******

"Why are we here again?" I ask Jug as we sit in a booth at pops waiting.

"To talk to the guy who kept staring at us when we visited Diltion," He says.

"There his dad is getting up," He says.He slides over and I follow behind him. The kid was sitting there with and ice cream. Jughead took the cherry right off the top.

"What the hell, man?" The guy says.

"Jug,"I say as he eats the cherry.

"I saw the way you looked at us," Jug says. "During Grizzly training. You're hiding something."

"It's Scoutmaster Doily," the kid says "He's lying.'

"About what?" Jug asks.

"The gunshot. It was him. He was teaching us how to shoot targets," He says.

"Dilton Doiley shot the gun on July 4th?"Jug says.

"He's a hardcore survivalist. He says if we don't protect ourselves, no one will," He says

"Well he kinda right," I say. Jug stands up and we walk back over to our booth. "So the gunshot that Archie and Cheryl heard was Diltion shooting targets. Which means it's almost useless to the investigation"

"Maybe not," Jug says.