chapter twenty-one.

unedited

Dinah Jane

Dinah yawned, stretching her aching body as she stumbled to her feet. The time on her clock read 8:50am and she scrunched her brows. She swore it was just 7:30am. The Polynesian felt really out of it and almost started to question where she was till Normani's ringtone flooded her ears and she mentally cursed. She picked up her phone and closed eyes. "Hi baby..." She trailed off.

"Are you fully awake, D?"

"Yeah...I'm guessing I'm supposed to be meeting you. Where are you?"

"Cheer practice, babe."

"Mkay. I'll be there this time." She laughed, lightly.

Dinah hung up and threw her phone back on her bed, searching for some shorts to put on. There was no reason to really dress up, she was planning on being lazy all day anyway because her parents were taking the younger kids out for the day and she'd most definitely enjoy herself. She settled on her yellow and green shorts and a random sweatshirt, because the gym stays cold so the athletes don't over heat. She yawned again and walked to her mom's room, opening the door and making her way over joining her parents and Seth. "Mom, can you drop me off at the school?"

The woman sighed loudly and looked to her husband who did the same and stood up, grabbing his key. "Let's go, kid." He said leading his daughter out.

When they got in the car the man looked at his daughter. "So, what's having you at school this early on a Saturday?"

"Mani's at cheer and I think they need me for something. Not sure what." The girl shrugged. "Hey dad?"

"Yes?"

Dinah leaned on her hand and looked at him, batting her lashes. "Well-"

Gordon glanced at her and groaned, cutting her off. "I know that look. You know what my answer will be."

"But dad! You should have a say too! Can you just try and convince mom to let me go with. Normani for springbreak? Please?" She pulled the sleeve of his shirt lightly.

"Oh fine. She's a nice girl and I trust her, but no promises." He said as he pulled up to the school. "Okay, do you need a ride back?"

"I'll let you know." She said pecking his cheek and exiting the car, phone in hand. She put the device in her pocket, and jumped
when she felt a hand on her back. "Oh! Jilly, you scared me. A little late?" She asked, slowing down to match the girl's pace.

"Yeah, yeah. I overslept a bit." She said, nodding then looked down at her phone when it vibrated. The shorter girl curses and Dinah looks at her in concern.

"Are you alright?" She asks, stopping along with the girl. Jilly suddenly bursts into tears, throwing herself into Dinah,

"Oh! The guy, you know, I was talking about...he just told me he isn't interested anymore! I don't know what I did wrong. I thought the playing hard to get would keep him interested. Maybe I'm not good enough for him."

"Jilly, no. Don't talk down on yourself, because some clown says he isn't interested. He clearly doesn't have his priorities straight and still wants to play around like the little boy he is." She said, rubbing her back. She felt really bad, because Jilly was such a good person and she didn't deserve that.

Jilly just cried harder into her shoulder, and looked at her phone behind Dinah's back and pulled away. "Amazing advice, wow. I feel so much better. Let's go inside!"

Dinah frowned and furrowed her brows. "Uh okay," She said, allowing the blonde to pull her to the outside entrance of the gym.

Dinah walked in and gasped a little at the sight in front of her. Erika and Nina were to the left holding a large teddy bear, to the right Bret and Zac were holding about five balloons--all her favorite colors--, and Ryan as well as Indya were holding up a sign that simply read in sparkly red letters, 'Homecoming?'. Dinah broke out into a grin, and bounced on her toes out of excitement. She immediately turned around when she felt arms wrap around her and she squeezed the shorter girl tightly, wrapping one leg around her waist causing the brown girl to stumble.

The couple was laughing, genuine laughter out of excitement. "I will." Dinah murmured.

"You better."

Dinah finally pulled away and turn to the team. "I love you guys." She said, the same grin plastered on her face as she took the gift from each of them, having a little trouble toting the bear. She neared her girlfriend again and sat down her gifts and glared a little at Normani. "I thought I told you not to get me that bear." She put her hands on her hips.

"It was a surprise though, so I didn't bend any rules." She winked.

Dinah rolled her eyes and just went to hug her again. "I love you." She said, kissing her sweetly before pulling away.

"And I love you, but we also have to finish practice. So, sit there and look pretty." She grinned and Dinah watched her jog back to the mats where the others had migrated to.

Normani

"I'm still can't believe you two are dating, but I can at the same time." Indya said, as she got dressed. There were a chorus of agreements from around the room.

"We-...well, I wanted to keep it that way. I thought keeping my image was more important, but it wasn't at all." She shrugged. "I'm way happier now though, I don't have to worry about anyone because I don't care about them anymore." She smiled, throwing on the shirt she had taken from Dinah a few weeks ago.

"You seem happier." Erika's small voice speaks, and Normani smiles bashfully.

"Thank you guys for today," She said and held out her arms as all the girl's came around and hugged her with a chorus of 'aw's. As they all pulled away, the girl grabbed her bag. "Bye!" She waved and jogged out, making her way to the bleachers.

When she got there, she found herself laughing at her girlfriend because she could literally fall asleep anywhere. She went over to her and tapped her shoulder, causing the girl to open her eyes and squint due to the bright lighting in the gym. "C'mon D. Let's go be lazy at my house." She said, helping the girl up.

The girl stood up, feeling slightly out of it as she grabbed the bear, the poster, and the balloons. "You guys practiced forever." She whined, following closely behind the athlete who was leading her to her car.

"Well, we had to do some last minute changes. This week could make or break us." The girl said, unlocking her door. She popped open the trunk and put her duffle in there and Dinah followed but the poster and balloons in there, before shutting it. "Why didn't you put the bear in there?" She asked watching her girlfriend carry the bear and sit it in the backseat.

Dinah shut the door and looked up. "Because she's sitting in the backseat." She said, and went to the passenger side getting in as Normani followed suit.

"She?"

"Mhm." She said, leaning back in the seat reaching over to grab Normani's hand closest to her. "I love you, Mani."

The dark-skinned girl laughed. "I love you too, D." She said, her smiling as her girlfriend left multiple kisses on her hand causing her to blush a bit hardly being able to focus on the road.

mmm that character development. first chapter mani would NEVER! 🤧

this book will highkey be fluff from here on out, because it's coming  to an end very soon. :(

i hope y'all enjoyed. ✨😁