V

Link looked at the beautiful fountain before him, his horse Epona right behind him. The hero took a few steps forward, a look of discomfort on his face. Despite the Great Fairies being extremely kind, they were still strange to him. Perhaps it was because they were practically naked, with only green vines and leaves covering their bodies. But, despite his discomfort, he needed their help.

"Great Fairy! Are you here?" he shouted out.

Hearing his voice, a loud giggle was heard and a blue light appeared in the spring. From the light emerged one of the fairies, a bright smile plastered on her face as she looked down at the hero.

"Link! How wonderful to see you! What do you need darling?" she asked him.

"Great Fairy, an ancient relic the Gorons guarded has been stolen," he explained. "I know who did it, but I don't know where to find him. Can you help me?"

"Someone stole from the Gorons? Who would be stupid and silent enough to do such a thing?" the fairy said putting her hands on her hips.

"Demon Lord Ghirahim, that's who."

The fairy gasped. Very few people knew of the demon lord, let alone survived long enough to have been in his presence. A stern expression etched her face as she spoke.

"I see. This truly is a predicament, isn't it?" she looked at Link. "You can find him in a castle in the dessert. That's where he spends most of his time. But be careful, there has been a surplus of warriors from the Gerudo tribe within the castle. Monsters guard the area outside as well."

Link nodded in understanding. The Gerudo were a fierce tribe consisting mostly of women. Only one male was born every 100 years, so they often find husbands outside of the tribe. But those who remain single in the tribe are obligated to help protect the royal family. Unfortunately, their current king was pure evil. Their king was the very man Link was destined to destroy: Lord Ganondorf. The legend Zelda once told him began to replay in his head...

Who in their right mind would marry such a cruel man? Sure, in their tribe it might be an honor. But surely they had to see how much of a monster he was not too long after. Not only did he feel sorry for the wife, but also the child. Having a father like Ganondorf and never knowing. The hero just hoped the child never found out. But enough of that nonsense. Link began to focus on his journey once more and, mounting his horse, rode off towards the most dangerous place in Hyrule... The Gerudo Dessert.

Ω

Once the hero got there, the first thing he noticed was the castle in the distance. Heeding the Great Fairy's warning, Link left Epona under the shade of a nearby tree and took off with only his sword and shield. The dessert was far too hot for the young Hylian. How could an entire civilization live in such conditions? It was odd to say the least.

It did not take long for the sun to set, and as the night sky took its place Link found himself in front of the castle gates. He tried to find a way around the two moblin guards, and to his luck discovered a secret entrance. He climbed through it and found himself in a small room. It was mostly empty, except for a few boxes here and there. Not too far away he could hear two voices, and footsteps that seemed to be approaching closer. Quickly, the hero hid behind one of the boxes as the guards walked passed him.

"You know," he heard one of them say. "I don't understand why we have to stay here and guard the brat while the others are off with their husbands. I want a man too you know!"

"Yeah," the other replied. "She's an adult already, and a general too. Why can't she defend herself?"

"I guess it's cause she's still too weak. I mean, that creepy demon practically does everything for her. Hell, he even kidnapped the princess! Something she could've done herself! I'm starting to think that stupid thing has a crush on her or something..."

"Well if you ask me," the first one said as they walked away from the silent hero. "I think Lord Ganondorf is being way too clingy of the girl. Besides, once she marries Koi she's no longer his concern."

"I guess you're right..."

The conversation continued, but the two were too far away for Link to hear. He took this opportunity to slip past them and make his way towards the relic, which he assumed was guarded in the upper chambers. But who were those two talking about? And what did they mean by kidnapping the princess!? Now he really had to up his game. Soon Link entered the second floor, sneaking his way past guards and eavesdropping on their conversations to locate the whereabouts of the relic and Zelda. So far, Zelda was nowhere in the premise, but the relic was on the third floor. Most of the conversations, however, consisted of a general. What was her name, he wouldn't know yet. But all the stories seemed to be the same. This general seemed to have some connection with Ganondorf. But what could it possibly be? And by the description of this general's 'servant', it seemed that the guards were talking about Ghirahim's master. So if she was then, then so was he. The very thought of bumping into that...thing made a shiver go down Link's spine.

Lucky for him, the hero managed to slip past all the guards and make his way towards the third floor. A dark aura surrounded the area around him. Normally this wouldn't affect the hero, what with him sneaking around enemy territory and all, but something was off. A small, vibrant ray of energy flowed from the area. Was there another innocent person here? It didn't matter. Link was going to get the relic, save whoever was trapped here, return the relic to the Gorons, and save Hyrule from Ganon. Link's pulse began to rise as he approached the door on the third floor. He found it strange how there were no guards around, but at the same time it was relieving. The hero wasted no more time and opened the door before him, entering the room, not knowing his destiny would be changed.