XVI

Link didn't know what to say. All of this tragedy, and Hiku didn't remember a single moment. The hero didn't know whether to feel sorry or consider her lucky. True she never got to meet her mother, but she never cared for the girl. She was only following orders. How could someone treat their own child that way? The blonde male hung his head, staring at his lap.

"I... I never knew any of this had taken place," he said.

Ghirahim scoffed at this. "There wasn't much you could have done anyway. You and the spirit maiden were but toddlers."

"But didn't the king-"

"Your precious king was the one who sent out those soldiers," the demon lord hissed. "He heard of Ganondorf raising a child and had his men seize her. That's why the old fool started this ridiculous war."

Link gazed at Hiku for a moment, sadness present in his eyes. "Did..." he hesitated. "Did she remember you, at least?"

Ghirahim, who had been facing the Hylian, looked away. "No. She didn't recognize me in the slightest three years ago." The demon lord then turned around to look at the sleeping princess. "And if she did, she would have be lied to by her innocent mind."

"How so?" Link questioned.

Ghirahim took his seat before he answered, softly stroking Hiku's flaming locks. "Simple: she would've believed the exact opposite of how I truly felt about her back then."

"Did you recognize her?" was the hero's next question.

"Not at first, no," he admitted. "It was only after Ganondorf presented her to the whole army that I remembered who she was."

"One last question..."

The sword spirit held back a groan of annoyance as he mumbled a 'fine'. He didn't like to bring up the past very much, not when it came to the young princess.

"Why and, more specifically, how did you fall in love with her?"

Ghirahim tenses up at the question. He preferred not to speak of such things, especially if the girl in question was still awake. If there was anything the spirit learned about Her Majesty during their time together, it was: 1) she was a good actress. 2) she often did many things to seek out valuable information or secrets (pretending to sleep, torture others, threaten them, etc). But he knew the boy wouldn't back down unless he answered him, so he chose to say it bluntly.

"She was my closest companion in the army, and I was her only true friend. I suppose the feeling just developed over the years and blossomed into...seeking her affection."

Link nodded in understanding. He felt something similar with Zelda. Before, they were just close friends that were trying to protect Hyrule. Now the hero held a deep affection for the young woman, and he was determined to save her.

A sudden creak of the bed and shuffling of bedsheets made the two males jump up. Hiku sat up on the bed, her eyes half lidded as she rubbed them and strands of her red hair fell on her face. Her blue orbs shone in the moonlight that peered in from the broken windows. She lazily smiled at the sight of her companions.

"What are you guys talking about?" she asked, her voice like silk as she spoke softly.

Ghirahim gave her a loving gaze, one she couldn't see due to her tired state of mind, as he smiled at her.

"Nothing, my dear. Just go back to sleep," he replied, cupping her pale cheeks in his gloved hand. "You need rest."

"But you guys should sleep too..." She gave a small yawn, causing Ghirahim to blush from how cute she was.

Link chuckled from his seat, excusing himself from the room and going to sleep in one of the other bedrooms. The demon lord sighed once the door closed behind the hero as he left.

"See? The hero went to bed. Now go to sleep." The sword spirit attempted to remove his hand to let the princess rest, but the Gerudo grabbed his wrist to pull him towards her.

"Noooo!" she whined. "You need it too, ya big [yawn] dumby dumb..."

"Hiku," he interjected. "I don't need sleep. I'm a sword spirit, remember?"

"B-But Ghira!" she suddenly pulled him forward, using a little more of her strength than she intended, and causing the demon lord to fall on top of her. The princess wrapped her arms around him to ensure he wouldn't escape. "Stay with me," she begged.

The demon lord could feel the heat rise to his cheeks before he let out a chuckle. He managed to slip out of her grip so he could remove his red cape, which he placed on the chair facing the bed. With a smile, Ghirahim moved into a more comfortable position for them to rest. He had his arms around Hiku's waist, pulling her close so he could see her facial features up close as his hands rested lazily on her lower back. The Gerudo buried her head in his chest, a smile of content present on her lips. Her arms were around him as well, resting on his upper back. Their legs were intertwined with each other under the warm blanket. The young girl let out another yawn as she closed her eyes.

"Goodnight, Ghira..." she whispered before being lulled into a deep sleep.

Ghirahim giggled at this. He moved one of his hands to the back of her head, entangling his fingers into her soft, red locks as he pulled her even closer to where the side of her face made contact with his chest. He placed his chest on top of her head, closing his eyes as he whispered...

"Goodnight, my Princess Hiku..."

____________________________________

I KNOW I SAID I'D CONTINUE THEIR JOURNEY BUT AFTER THREE CHAPTERS OF CRUELTY TO MY BABY I NEEDED TO ADD SOME HIKRAHIM/GHIKU FLUFF I PROMISE THEY HEAD OFF IN THE NEXT CHAPTER.

I hope you guys enjoyed this. See ya next time!