IX

Link rode Epona across Hyrule Field towards the castle. Just as he expected, Castle Town was in ruins. The once lively and bustling town was now deserted and dark. It saddened the hero to see it like this. He just hoped everyone fled to safety. He left his horse in front of the fountain that laid in the center of the town before making his way to the castle. He fought hordes of monsters as he made his way up to the throne room. Once he got there, the hero pulled out his sword and shield, readying for battle. A hearty, dark chuckle escaped from the lips of the man before him.

"So, you've come to defeat me, huh hero?" he smirked. "Do you really believe it'll be that easy?"

"Where's Zelda," Link replied with a growl.

Ganondorf chuckled again as he stood from the throne. "Don't worry about your precious little princess, boy. If anything you should be more concerned about me at the moment."

Link responded by getting into a fighting stance. Ganon's grin began to fade into a scowl. How foolish was this boy? It didn't matter to him at the moment.

"I see you won't back down. Very well, then let us engage in battle!"

The two fought, swords clashing and blood leaking. But it was already clear that Ganondorf was superior. Link, meanwhile, was covered in scars and bruises. It soon became difficult for the hero to even stand. After awhile, Link had collapsed, proving Ganon to be victorious. The evil king laughed at the hero, who was bleeding heavily on the castle floor.

"I warned you to be more prepared child. Now look at you, practically on your death bed! Oh, but I don't want you dead just yet."

Ganondorf grabbed the hero by his hair, forcing him off the ground. He gave an evil grin before throwing Link to a lizalfo. "Take him to the dungeon and chain him there. And send a healer to fix his wounds. I want him in perfect shape for when the real fun begins."

The lizalfo nodded before dragging the hero to the castle dungeon, where he was chained up to the wall and left there. His vision was blurry, and he could barely keep his eyes open. The last thing the male saw was a red and white figure standing outside his cell before passing out.

Ω

Link woke up not too long after. He looked at his surroundings before remembering what had happened. He failed. He failed to defeat Ganondorf, to protect Hyrule, to save Zelda. He had lost. The hero sat there in cell silently, simply waiting for death to take him as his head hung low. If he was no longer the hero, what was the point in living? Then he heard footsteps approaching. He felt a pang of fear wash over him as he eyed every angle he can view with anxiety.

"Hello, Skychild," an all too familiar voice said to him. "But I suppose you don't like to be called that, do you?"

"Ghirahim..." he growled. "What do you want?"

The demon stared at the human before him with a neutral expression. "Straight to the point I see... Well, since you asked, I need your assistance."

Link picked up his head and froze. Did he hear him right?

"You...need my help?"

"As much as it kills me to say it, yes," he sighed.

"With what? You've already won. Ganondorf has complete control now. I failed the kingdom. What more could you possibly ask for?" he questioned the sword spirit.

Ghirahim stared him down, a mischievous look in his eyes. "I will help you save your precious kingdom and the princess."

This surprised the hero. Ghirahim, a demon lord, wanting to help him, a hero, save Hyrule? Alarms went off in his head in an instant. Something didn't feel right...

"What's the catch?" he asked.

"...You help me save Hiku." Was the demon lord's reply.

"But, she's on Ganondorf's side. Why should I help her?"

"Simple," Ghirahim said. "I've been her only true companion since she joined his armies. She's being forced into something she doesn't want to do, and it's my job as her friend to help her."

"But I-"

"Look, Link. This deal is simple. You can save your princess and I'll save mine. So?"

The sword spirit gave a soft expression, and Link could tell he was being genuine. With a sigh, the hero nodded, resulting in Ghirahim to grin in delight.

"Good," he said, entering the cell. "Now come along."

The demon summoned his blade, cutting off the chains that held the hero before making his way with him to Hiku's tower. They managed to sneak past guards and scouts as they maneuvered through the castle grounds. Finally, they made it. Link recognized the door before them as the one to Zelda's room. (Hint hint at him and Zelda's relationship lololol)

Ghirahim knocked on the door, hoping for his beloved to open it. "Hiku? It's me, Ghirahim."

But there was no reply. The demon lord went for the door knob, but it seemed to be lock. He knocked again.

"Hiku, open up."

Nothing. The sword spirit started to grow anxious. Was she okay? Was she just sleeping? No. He just saw her not too long ago. It'd take about a two hours or more for her to fall into a deep enough sleep, due to her having insomnia. Ghirahim, full of worry, started throwing himself at the door in an attempt to break the hinges. It didn't take long for the old, wooden door to give in to his strength. But once the two were inside, there was no sign of the general. But something else managed to catch Link's attention.

There were no weapons in the room, and it appeared the only ones within the room were missing. The desk next to the window was entirely empty, except for a single piece of paper. And what was even more alarming was the rope tied to the bed that was thrown out the window. Everything started to come together, and the two males stared at each other in shock as they spoke in unison.

"Hiku ran away!?"