5) the first outing

okay !! so !! i always say this and i'm sorry but it's important, i do not have any of the mental illness' that i'm writing about, so i cannot write from experience. google only tells me so much. so if you have either of the two that my boys have in this fic, and if anything i'm writing is insulting or incorrect, then please let me know.

"and how many sugars would you like?"

the starbucks barista asks a simple question. a simple question, with a simple answer, right? you simply determine how sweet you want your coffee, one sugar, two sugars, or three, or maybe even none.

but what if you couldn't simply answer?

tyler thinks over his multiple choices in his head, but along with thinking of what he could choose, the consequence of each of the choices also runs through his mind.

bitterness is his least favourite taste, so adding no sugar is out of the question. three sugars doesn't seem too bad, but what if the barista thinks he's some sugar addict? he doesn't want the barista to judge him for having too many sugars. one sugar doesn't feel to be enough to overpower the bitterness, so that leaves tyler with one choice left; two sugars.

but what if two still isn't enough? then his coffee would be too bitter and he wouldn't want to drink it, but he also wouldn't want to waste it--

with his breath slowly becoming uneven, tyler sends panicked looks to his social worker/best friend, debby, for assistance.

practically seeing the gears turning in tyler's head, debby pats him on the shoulder lightly, as a way of telling him to calm down, and try not to stress, as she answers for him.

"he'll take three," she smiles, taking tyler's sigh of relief as a thanks.

tyler receives his coffee, quickly taking a sip, and dictating the coffee to be nearly perfect sweetness, but enough for him to enjoy, and debby receives her cappuccino and muffin, and they head to sit in a booth farthest in the corner.

"holy shit," she breathes, smiling proudly at tyler, "that was so good, you, you did so good!" she laughs, overthrown with gid.

tyler scoffs,

"i freaked as soon as she asked me about stupid sugar," he rolls his eyes.

debby raises a perfectly sculpted brow, "first of all, if it's important to you, then it's not stupid," she scolds gently,

"secondly, so what? you calmed down so quickly," she shoves him lightly, "you're doing so well for your first outing in, what-- three months?"

"three months, twelve days," he reminisces.

debby nods, "yup, you're doing so well for your first time leaving your house in three months, twelve days,"

tyler loves debby. so much. not only was she just a great person in general, but she treats him like a normal human being. because he is normal. his last social worker, summer, treated him like he was expensive china; fragile. she never touched him, but if she did she would apologize immediately. she always spoke in a quiet voice, and rarely joked.

but with debby, she treats him like a brother, putting his horrendous indecisiveness aside. she only gives him space, or spoke frighteningly gently, when he needs it. aside from the praise for seemingly silly things, debby treats him as if they were roommates, and the fact that she is getting paid is practically forgotten.

the two joke and laugh whilst drinking their coffee, and tyler internally pats himself on the back. for not leaving his home for months at a time, he is doing pretty darn well in public. at least, better than last time.

he shivers at the thought, going back to listening to debby's story about her recent 5500 piece puzzle, before a shriek interrupts her, "-but, the piece didn't fit? it was the only pink piece remaining and it just didn't fit! how was the cat supposed to smell the flower, if--"

"are you kidding me!?" a male's voice demands, seemingly a few octaves higher.

tyler and debby both snap their heads toward the commotion at the front,

"alright, listen, poppy," he spits the barista's name, "i let it slide the first time, and the second, and every time after that," he laughs bitterly, "but, i've been coming in here every day for weeks, and every time, i tell you, ''my name is trever, with an e, not an o,'' but you still get it wrong," he groans.

he stomps his foot like a child, before whining loudly,

"my name is trever, not trevor,"

the man, known as trever, has a bright haired friend next to him, who seems to be completely embarrassed by his friends antics.

"oh, no," tyler whispers from his spot in the corner.

debby snorts, "i know, right? poppy looks like she's about to piss herself,"

tyler shakes his head,

"no, s'not it,"

debby notices his frantic eyes and scoots closer,

"hey, what's wrong?"

tyler takes a deep breath,

"remember when dr. stevenson wanted me to do something bold, and i ranted to you about how stupid it was?" he rushes out, his heart racing at the sight of the yellow-haired man.

debby nods in understanding, rubbing tyler's shoulder and instructing him to sit up straighter.

"well," tyler breathes, placing both of his hands on his head, "i did it,"

debby looks taken aback, before asking,

"what did you do?"

tyler closes his eyes,

"i keep anonymously sending my neighbour bags of gummy penis candies, and my neighbour is the yellow-haired guy over there," tyler whispers.

debby's laughter loudly echoes around the starbucks.

what happens to a peanut when they get hurt?

they bust a nut.

(ta cryingtyler)