25) the second date

✦ 

tyler is nervous. he is so nervous. he's sweating, his heart is racing out of his chest-- he is just so nervous.

it's not very difficult to think up a cliche, cheesy date. but it was quite difficult making said cliche date, particularly special for a certain yellow-haired man.

it took six days, four embarrassingly failed ideas, and lots of help from debby, but tyler finally has a date planned. he's rather proud of what's planned, too.

it's now three o' clock, and he just texted josh letting him know that he'll be at his door in about five minutes.

tyler adjusts his collar for the third time, "gah! i shouldn't even be wearing a collared shirt, we're going to a stupid animal shelter," he grumbles, glaring at debby's reflection in the mirror.

she scoffs from where she stands behind him, walking closer to slap his hands away. "it's not stupid, he'll love it. plus, it won't hurt to look nice for when you eat,"

tyler rolls his eyes, but accepts that she's probably right. "alright, alright. m'gonna-gonna go get him now," he nods to himself, smiling lightly at debby.

she smiles back, "it'll be fine, honey. go get 'im," she cheers.

tyler nods to himself once again, giving debby one last smile before taking a deep breath and going out into the hallway.

he quickly walks to josh's door and knocks firmly, not letting himself chicken out.

after hearing a few bumps and shouts, josh appears at the door, his hair tousled in just the right way, tight jeans fitting his body and a camo jacket over a nasa shirt.

"hey," josh says, almost breathlessly as he takes in tyler's appearance.

"h-hi," tyler laughs a little shyly at his stutter. "ready to go?" he gestures to the hallway.

josh pats his pockets, assuring himself he has his wallet and phone, before nodding, stepping into the hall with tyler and closing his apartment door behind him.

they share a small smile before heading down the stairs, tyler stopping right in front of the doors leading outside.

he looks out at the busy street and clenches his fist, taking deep breaths to calm himself.

he feels a hesitant hand pry his fist into an open palm, intertwining their fingers. he looks to josh who squeezes their hands lightly, giving him a small, reassuring smile.

tyler nods, he can do this. lifting a shaky hand, he opens the door, stepping outside with josh in tow.

  ✦ 

"c.h.a," josh smiles at the sight of the animal shelter in front of him.

tyler twiddles his thumbs, "i got us some, uh, intern work,"

josh gasps, "we get to play with animals?"

tyler nods, "yes, well, um.. no-- yes!" he decides.

josh giggles, getting excited, "can... can we go in, please?" he laughs in embarrassment.

tyler laughs, internally patting himself on the back as he nods, leading josh into the building.