Chapter Seven

Thanks for over forty reads already! It means so much!

Chapter Seven

Even though we offered her a chance to stay another night, Taylor had to head home.

"Do you want to go to our, place?" Tyler asked Macie, nudging her shoulder with his own.

She thought it over before replying, "Yeah. You think we can trust Devan?"

I felt a bit hurt that she had to ask that, although I guess I have only been here a few days.

"Yeah, I think we can." I couldn't help but grin at Tyler's response, he thinks he can trust me.

Ugh, I sound like one of his overly obsessed fan girls.

"Let's go then!" Macie squealed, jumping up from her spot on the couch.

***

We all rode in Tyler's car to an old school; it was falling apart and had graffiti covering the brick walls.

"Is this it?" I asked incredulously, not that I was dissapointed, it was awesome, but I would've figured it was something different.

Macie nodded enthusiastically, "It's cool, huh?"

"Yeah," I faked astonishment. "It's amazing."

I walked by one of the walls, tracing some of the graffiti with my index finger.

Tyler put his hand on my shoulder, and I ignored all the sparks that soared through my arm.

We've only been hanging out for a few days, how does he have an effect on me?

"This is one of my favorite places," He spoke in a soft tone. "I come here often to think, I have a lot of things I need to sort out, and being here calms me down so I can focus."

"I understand why. It's calming here." I stated the obvious, but he didn't bother pointing that out.

He took his hand off my shoulder, and I ignored the disappointment that flooded through my body.

The disappointment quickly disappeared when he grabbed my hand.

He intertwined our fingers and gently tugged me inside the broken building.

He led me into a dark room, where there were no holes.

He took a small flashlight out of his pocket and flicked it on.

I read the words written on the wall, and it tugged at my heart in a different way than I had ever felt:

This school lies here broken and alone,
Taking with it ever dream that had once been dreamt.
You're standing in a memory, a memory made of brick and stone.

I once used to come here to learn,
Now I come here to feel,
I come here to feel the tingling burn, of every time I spent here crying, laughing, and dreaming.

I found my first love here,
I remember it like it was yesterday,
It was an experience full of fear,
But it's an experience I'd never trade or give away.

- M

I grinned at how beautiful it was, the words written on the wall.

I'm standing in a room, where someone lived their teenage years.

This place gave birth to so much success.

"That's amazing," I muttered; I had sensed Tyler waiting for my response to what was written.

"I know," He breathed.

I inhaled sharply when he spun me around and looked me in the eye.

"I'm sorry I was a jerk when you first got here. Let's just say the first time someone stayed with us, didn't end up to well." His eyes darkened as he said the last sentence.

"If you don't mind me asking," I started, willingly stepping on thin ice. "What happened?"

He sucked in a breath, before sitting on the bottom of a broken staircase, gesturing for me to sit down as well.

"Well, this girl transferred to our school last year, and we became pretty close," He started, his voice wavering slightly.

"I found out her dad was abusing her, and so I did everything I could, so she could stay with us. Eventually, she was able to.
She went back one day to try and talk to her dad without my knowledge, but he didn't want to talk. He beat her up So bad, she wound up in the hospital.
He committed suicide because he didn't want to spend the rest of his life in jail," He stopped so he could take a couple deep breaths.

I grabbed his hand and squeezed it for reassurance.

"She was strong, and her body out up a good fight, but he beat her up too bad. She died within a week. I loved her, but when I told her, it was too late. The doctor said she was only fighting for me, but she couldn't fight any longer."

His eyes were now glazed over with unshed tears.

"I couldn't save her, and that kills me every single day." His voice was cracking, and a single year rolled down his cheek.

I didn't speak, but I pulled him into a tight embrace.

Actions speak louder than words.

"Thanks for telling me." I muttered, pulling away and looking into his eyes, full of vulnerability.

"It's alright, I needed to tell someone. That's why I became such a jerk. I wasn't like this up until she died. I vowed to never like another girl ever again." He explained, but he mumbled something else I don't think he wanted me to hear:

"But that might change."

***

Sorry this chapter was so short, but I figured now was the perfect spot to end this.

Thanks for reading!