Chapter Fifteen

Yay! So close to 1k, and it's only been a couple weeks!

Chapter Fifteen

Taylor and I walked into school together; Tyler had run off with a few rebels that were planning on ditching class.

I still received looks from people when we walked in.

I would've figured the gossip about my 'death', would've died down through the night.

Why would people still care? It's not like I'm someone popular.

Taylor and I grabbed the books we needed out of our lockers and went to class, arriving the moment the bell rang.

Mrs. Thomas entered, looking as snobby and stuck-up as usual.
She glanced at me, and for half a second, her eyes softened, before they turned harsh and cold again.

She looked at the students she despised most, before sitting at her desk and taking out the attendance paper.

You'd think she'd remember all of our names yet, but nope.

Tyler threw open the door and did the 'cool walk', over to his seat, which happened to be next to mine.

He winked at the teacher and I think she nearly fainted.

He has an effect on everyone, and I mean everyone.

I glanced over at him to see him already watching me; he offered me a small smile before turning to face the teacher.

I guess he didn't want to ditch class with the rebels, I wonder why.

I leaned back in my seat and did my best not to fall asleep during the Mrs. Thomson droning on and on about the civil war.

We learned about this in elementary school, I mean honestly!

***

"Why were you and Tyler in the same car together? And since when does he actually drive a car?" Britney demanded, leaning against the locker beside mine.

I chuckled, turning to face her.

"Why hello to you too Britney." I grinned innocently, and she rolled her eyes, letting out an irritated huff.

"Answer my questions." She ordered, slamming the side of her fist against the lockers out of anger.

My eyes widened at her outburst and I opened my mouth to speak, "I'm staying at Tyler's house for a few weeks while my parents are gone, okay? That's all!"

Her eyes widened, before narrowing, and her lips turned up into an intimidating sneer.

I gulped loudly, taking a step back.

"Okay, that's enough of that." Taylor said, stepping between us and grabbing my wrist.

She pulled me outside and to Tyler's car where he was waiting.

"Are you going with us, or do you have to go home?" I asked Taylor, and she frowned.

"I have to go home." She said in a flat tone, and I shot her a look of sympathy.
Tyler looked confused but waved to Taylor and climbed in the car.

I jogged over to the passenger seat and slid in, sinking deep into the comfortable chair.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked when we had been driving for a few minutes.

"Yeah," I said hesitantly, and he glanced over at me before turning back to the road.

"I'm going to take you to our place so we can talk." He said, and I nodded.
When I realized he couldn't see me, I agreed aloud.

I turned on the radio and sang horribly off-pitched with Shawn Mendes' song 'Treat You Better'.

"You sound horrible!" He yelled over the music, stating the obvious.

I rolled my eyes, "I know." I didn't bother denying what was obviously true.

***

We climbed out of the car and he took me to the dark room with the creative writing on the wall.

"After what happened yesterday, I was assuming you'd want to know where that puts us," He started, and I shrugged.

"I know you may be expecting me to ask you to be my girlfriend or something, but we need to keep in mind we just met. There may be a time in the near future when I ask you to be my girlfriend, but I don't think We're - I'm - ready for that kind of commitment."

I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach, but I did everything I could not to look disappointed.

I was honestly really hoping he'd ask, but I guess he does have a point.

"I understand." I said in an emotionless tone so he couldn't disect my feelings.

He nodded, thankful I didn't get upset, or at least, didn't look upset.

"Thanks for understanding." He offered me a small smile, before turning and going to his car, And I followed suit.

It was a long awkward ride home, hardly any words were said.

I knew it was going to be a weird day, but seriously?

I still have two weeks left to stay here, so it better not be like this the whole time.

"Are you okay?" Tyler asked, glancing at me.
I nodded, before turning my head and looking out the window as the trees passed by.

I leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes.

My eyes fluttered open and I looked around the room.

Tyler must've carried me to my room.

I closed my eyes and buried myself deeper under the blankets, closing my eyes again.

I could smell food from the kitchen, and willed myself to get up.

I crawled out of bed and stumbled into the kitchen where Kara was at the stove stirring something in a giant red pot.

I walked over beside her and took a whiff of the stew simmering in the pot.

"It smells good." I said, my mouth watering.

"Thanks Devan, I'm glad to see that someone appreciates my cooking." She joked, and I grinned.

***

Sorry the last few chapters have been short, please forgive me!
Thanks for reading! I can't believe I'm so close to one thousand! It's unbelievable!