Chapter Twenty

Yay! It's the twentieth chapter!

Chapter Twenty

There was a knock on my door, bringing me out of my trance.

I stood up and slowly opened it, revealing Macie standing there impatiently.

"We need to talk. Sit down." She ordered, and I did as told, wiping the salty tears from my cheeks.

"Tyler is ripping himself apart in his room right now because of how much he hurt you. He told me everything that happened, and I think you need to listen to his side of the story." Was all she said before leaving my room and slamming the door shut.

That girl really gets stuff done.

I let out a sigh and raked my hand through my hair.

I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a pajama shirt, along with some underwear, and went to take a warm shower.

I let the water wash away all my stress, and closed my eyes for a moment.

I put on the clothes and went downstairs to the living room.

Kara was going to be gone for the night, because she was visiting her sister the next town over.

I flicked on the TV and looked through the channels, but to no avail did I find anything good.

"So you mind if I sit beside you?" Tyler asked, his eyes pleading, red and swollen telling me he was stressed, and possibly, crying?

I nodded, offering him a sheepish smile.

Did I over react earlier?

"Listen, I'm really sorry, I should've left it alone. I just didn't want Nick to hurt you." He said, and I sighed.

I grabbed his hand and held it in mine, looking into his green eyes that were hurt and empty.

"No, I'm sorry, you were only trying to help." I apologized, and he smiled, leaning slightly closer to me.

Our lips were mere centimeters apart.

I saw Macie out of the corner of my eye coming into the room, but the moment she saw what was happening, she scurried away.

He paused for a moment, as if asking for permission.
I nodded, and that was all it took for him to close the gap between us, his hand coming up to cup my cheek.

His lips met mine with hope, hope for us.
Fireworks exploded inside of my stomach, causing me to pull away a bit and grin, catching my breath.

He rested his forehead against mine.

"Do you have a different answer to the question I asked earlier?" He asked, a small smile playing on his lips.

"Maybe," I mumbled, and he narrowed his eyes.

"Well, what is It?"

"Yes, I would gladly be your girlfriend."

He smiled and pulled me into his arms, before taking the remote from me and turning a movie on.

***

"What happened between you and Nick?" I asked, knowing I was stepping onto untouched ground with him, since I'm sure this isn't something he enjoys talking about.

"You know how I said my ex-best friend Hailey, died because her dad beat her up?" He asked, and I nodded, confused as to where this is going.

"Well, that wasn't the whole story. Nick was my second best friend, and they were also close. How long have you and Taylor been friends?" He asked, and I scratched my head in thought.

"About eight months." I finally decided, and he sighed.

"Hailey was their sister," He paused, and I inhaled sharply.

"Nick begged her to come back home, and so she must've decided she was going to come back for a visit. But when she did, their dad beat her up. He stood there and watched it happen, he didn't bother trying to stop his dad, he watched as his dad beat her to the point of death. Nick's just as horrible as their dad is." He finished.

Why did Taylor never tell me any of this?
I feel kind of betrayed honestly.

"That's a lot to take in. I'm so sorry all of this happened. I guess that explains why Taylor seemed so comfortable around you." I thought aloud.

He sighed, blinking back unshed tears before pulling me close to him.

"I swore I was never going to love anyone else, until I met you, and then that all changed, I broke the promise I made to myself." He said, and I couldn't help but smile.

"I really like you Devan, I hope you know that." He muttered into my ear.

"I really like you too Tyler."

***

Tyler and I were at the park; since he had forgotten to take down the fairy lights, so we were sitting in the gazebo, the fairy lights illuminating our skin.

It was like four in the morning and we hadn't stepped at all, but we didn't care.

I was in his arms, leaning against his chest while he leaned against one of the posts surrounding the gazebo.

I closed my eyes and let out a content sigh.

Life is so much better than it could be.

I guess my mom was right when she said Tyler and I could become close.

***

Sorry this chapter was so short, but it was also really cute in my opinion, thanks for reading!