Chapter 2: The Newbie

I helped Thalia find her parents, and I hung around the grocery store until all of the hostages were safe and everyone was leaving. I then quickly hopped back onto my motorcycle and put my helmet on. I saw the police officer who I had spoken with earlier, so I revved the engine just for effect, and drove off in the direction of the agency. 

On the inside, I was doing a little happy dance. That mission was a total success! I would've done my dance at the scene, but that would've been "unprofessional" or whatever. I was just grateful for such a simple assignment. 

In the files, it showed me who this man was. He had never had any trouble with the police before today. His record was clean. He was younger, around the age of twenty two. When he told me that he needed the money, everything clicked. He was in college, and the price of tuition was undoubtedly making his situation worse. At first, I was somewhat guessing so I said he had trouble with bills and food, and when he agreed to that, I could tell I was on the right track. It wasn't difficult to figure out what he was thinking either, because his face showed it all.

I couldn't wait to tell Commander and to brag to some of my colleagues. I AM the youngest at the agency, and it's really fun to rub it in their faces! Maybe I'll actually do my happy dance in front of them... Hmm...

I pulled in to the parking lot, hung my helmet on my handle bars, and skipped toward the front doors of the agency. I skipped all the way to Commander's office, but paused before entering because the door was slightly opened. I peaked inside and saw Commander at his desk, talking to someone I didn't recognize. I could only see the back of this person's head, but his posture and build didn't look like anyone I knew. I decided to knock.

"Come in." I heard Commander Ross say. I awkwardly pushed the door open all the way, and the man seated across from Commander turned around. He looked around my age, probably a little older. He seemed familiar to me, but I didn't know why. He had piercing blue eyes, dirty blonde hair, and a smirk on his face. He was... attractive? No, NO! STOP. Down girl. I shook my head to try and push those disgusting thoughts away. 

"H-hey Commander..." I said, awkwardly. Crap. 

"Aubrey! Just the person I was looking for!" Commander said. He was looking for me? Oh boy...

"Oh... Really?" I said, nervously.

"You're not in trouble... This time..." Commander said. I sighed of relief. The boy laughed a little to himself.

"I just came in here to tell you the mission was a success." I said.

"Did you have someone time you this time?" Commander asked, laughing. I actually did that once! Eight minutes and thirty-four seconds baby. Oh yeah!

"No, not this time." I said, laughing with commander. "But one of the police officers gave me a hard time."

"Oh really?" Commander said.

"Yeah. He was quite annoying. But when I came out of the building with the robber, it seemed to shut him up." I said, smirking.

"I bet it did!" Commander said, chuckling.

"Yep! Well I best be off!" I said, trying to leave the room and avoid the reason Commander wanted to see me earlier.

"Wait!" Commander said. Dang it. "Please, have a seat Aubrey." I reluctantly pulled up a chair next to the boy, leaving a decent amount of space between the two of us. I wouldn't want him getting any ideas. 

"Okay... If this is about the frog and you still want to punish me... Didn't I repay you by taking care of the robbery?" I asked.

"Calm down. This has nothing to do with your mischief." Commander said. I relaxed a little. "Aubrey, I just wanted you to meet Carson." I turned toward the boy.