Chapter 5: They're after my family

"I'm HOME!" I shouted, as I walked through the front door of my house. My two dogs, Lucy and Belle, came running to meet me. Lucy was a tiny little dog, with dark brown spots on her little white body, and Belle was a huge German Shepard. They had huge differences in size, but they were best friends. "Hi girls!" I said, giving them each a quick pat on the head.

"Hey Aubrey!" My brother, Logan said, running down the stairs.

"Hi!" I said, giving him a hug.

"How was work?" He asked. He brushed a piece of his dark brown hair off of his forehead.

"Oh, you know. The usual..." I said, trailing off.

"What happened?" Logan asked. His brown eyes scrunched up, showing me he was concerned. This is why I love him. He always knows when something's wrong.

"I failed my first mission today." I said quietly.

"How?" He asked.

"I got a... A... Partner... And he couldn't catch the bad guy." I told him, shrugging.

"Oh, I'm sorry kiddo! You'll get 'em next time!" Logan said. I laughed and nodded. He always called me kiddo.

"Aubrey?" I heard my mom say from the kitchen.

"Yeah mom?" I said, walking towards her voice.

"Come in here please!" She said. I hurried, and reached where she was. She had a note in her hand, and was nervously running her fingers through her light brown hair. "Read this." She said, handing it to me. She pushed her lips into a thin line. This is bad. This is really, REALLY bad...

Agent 003-

Yeah. I know where you live. If I were you, I'd watch your back. You seem pretty fond of your family, am I correct? How will they feel if I were to hurt THEM because of YOU? They probably wouldn't be too happy. And neither would you. Watch out, Coleson. I'm after you.

-CN

I couldn't believe what I just read. There's no way any of that's true... RIght? Whoever it was wouldn't hurt my family... Would they? Who could they be? It doesn't make any sense.

CN... Could that stand for Carson Nichols?! Oh, when I get my hands on that child I'm gonna hit him so hard his grandchildren's grandchildren will feel it!

"Where did you find this?" I asked.

"On the counter." My mom said, crossing her arms. Her blue eyes looked into my brown eyes as she spoke. I could tell she was mad. Just the thought of this person being in MY house gave me shivers. "I told you this would happen, Aubrey." My mom said. She didn't want me to join the agency in the first place, because she thought it would put our family in danger. I, personally, think she's been watching too many movies. My mom can be quite the drama queen sometimes..

"It's fine, Mom! It's probably nothing!" I said, rolling my eyes. But it wasn't nothing. "If you want, I can get a few agents to check it out. Heck, I could check it out, if you'd like." I said.

"Just do something." My mom said, storming out of the kitchen. My brother gave me a look.

"I know! I know! I'm on it." I said, shaking my head. I leave work, come home, and have to do MORE work. Ugh. Life is tough. Just kidding. Working at the agency is the best thing that's ever happened to me!

I ran up the stairs, towards my room to get some supplies. I would need a pen, paper, and my phone. Commander programmed my phone to have the best research abilities and the newest in Central Intelligence technology. I ran back down the stairs with my supplies, and began a routine investigation.

No prints, no tracks, nothing. Just the note. Really? I decided to do a little research on my past cases. Maybe this was someone trying to get revenge on me for putting them behind bars... The man from the grocery store was in custody, so there's no way it was him. Plus, I don't think he would anyways. He wasn't necessarily a "bad guy". He just made a bad choice. A few of my other recent cases were a theif who stole TVs and was known for his violence, but he was still in jail, a woman who would kidnap people and make them sing for her... Now that was a weird one... But she was on probation and there's no way she's smart enough to figure out where I live... And... Bruce. Could he be after me? I don't know why. He DID escape... And no one knows where he is... I got goosebumps. But his initials don't match...

The next name that popped into my head, was Carson. He wouldn't do that, would he? I haven't done anything to him... As far as I know.

Is it Carson? Is it Bruce? These thoughts swirled around in my head for the rest of the night. I barely ate any of my dinner, and trust me, that's weird. After dinner, I went straight up to my room to do more research. I looked up Bruce's case, but he still hasn't been found. I couldn't help but to think about Carson letting him go. Could Carson be involved with Bruce's disappearance? Is Carson helping him? But why would he do that if he's working for the agency? This just isn't adding up.

I eventually left my computer screen, and went to bed, only to be haunted by the thoughts of Bruce or Carson coming into my house. Something's going on, and I intend to figure out what that something is.