go

[unedited]

"I'm sorry." Itachi whispered as he stared at the green haired girl with red eyes. Akurei stared blankly at the scene in front of her with her mouth slightly open in 'shock'.

"Why..?" She whispered and felt her throat close up, making it hard for her to breathe. It was uncomfortable but bearable, meaning absolutely nothing to Akurei.

Her eyes glazed over on her blood splattered face as she continued to stare at the lifeless bodies of Mikoto and Fugaku.

"I'm so sorry I'm so sorry I'm so sorry." Itachi murmured and Akurei felt her knees give in, legs trembling.

"What's happening to me?" She whispered and Itachi's heart throbbed painfully.

It had been the last day of Akurei's punishment, and she woke up to find Itachi standing over the bodies of his parents late at night, bloody katana in his hand and his sharingan activated. Sasuke was still at the Academy, although he should be coming anytime soon.

"Father! Mother!" Sasuke's muffled voice reached their ears and Itachi stiffened.

Speak of the devil.

"Sasuke. Don't come in." Itachi warned but the younger Uchiha ignored him and slid the door open, immediately seeing Akurei kneeling with Itachi standing over his parents bodies.

"Father! Mother! Nii-san! Nii-san, mother and father are... why?! Why?!" Sasuke shouted and Itachi's eyes grew cold.

Faster than any human could detect with a naked eye, Itachi aimed a shuriken at the door behind Sasuke, and sent it flying with a flick of his wrist. Sasuke winced, a shallow cut made from the weapon on his arm, confused by his older brother's actions.

"Foolish little brother..." Itachi muttered and breathed out. Akurei's lungs were starting to tighten and she felt wetness run down from her eyes. She was confused.

Itachi's eyes snapped open, revealing the bright red eyes of the Mangekyou Sharingan. Akurei and Sasuke had no choice but to stare into it, and be caught in his genjutsu.

The death of Mikoto and Fugaku flashed in the minds of the two children, scarring them. While Sasuke and Akurei fell forward, Akurei was forced unconscious.

"Why... why did you?" Sasuke whispered.

"It was to measure my capacity." Itachi replied calmly.

"To test your capacity? That's all? That's the only reason you killed everyone for that..?" Sasuke wheezed.

"It was essential." Itachi said and Sasuke stiffened as he sprinted towards his older brother, tripping over his own feet and staring straight at Fugaku's face.

Tears welled up in Sasuke's eyes and Itachi walked over to Akurei, picking her up and slinging her over his shoulder. He slid open the door to the house, and walked out onto the streets where many lifeless bodies lay. Sasuke ran after him and stopped Itachi's path.

"Yes... you can't be my brother... because..." Sasuke trembled and Itachi frowned.

"The brother you wanted to spend time with has done this to ascertain your 'capacity'. I continued acting as the elder brother you desired, and I became your companion to see if that potential lies hidden. You found me disagreeable and hated me." Itachi monotonously informed.

"You continued wanting to surpass me because of that, I will let you live... for my sake. You can awaken the same Mangekyou Sharingan as me. However there is a requirement." Itachi said and Sasuke dreadfully awaited the answer.