Second chances

*Finn's POV*

Remembering everything brings back all the painful memories, that I wish I could forget. Riley. Riley Lucas Hudson, my son. Do i miss him? yes I miss him, did I forget him? yes I forgot about him. I forgot the pain, I forgot that day he died. I forgot Rachel, my brain wanted to forget. I wanted to forget but I can't. Losing a child, is the most painful thing a parent will ever experience. We didn't have time with him, we won't see him grow up, graduate, get married or have kids. He's gone, my son is gone. Having my memories rush back to me all at once is just so painful. The heartache, the fights, the funeral. Everything is too much. Before I was hurt I went through the emotions, I was angry, sad and then distant. Rachel and I fought the day of the fire, I remember it so clearly now. She brought up Riley and then my job. It set me off and once my pager went off I didn't hesitate. I just left and almost died. I got a second chance, at least that's how I see it now. Before that night, I was unhappy. I loved Rachel but I was so angry about losing our son, so I took that anger out on her. Its wrong, I know it was but I did. I was hurting, I felt hopeless. I'm a firefigher and I couldn't even save my own son. I think the reason I forgot everything is because my brain needed to heal, I needed to heal.

"Daddy? Did you hear me?" Alexa asked me and I tried to smile back at her.

"Yes baby, I miss baby Riley" I answered and grabbed Rachels hand. When she looked over at me, I smiled and squeezed her hand. "I love you baby" I told her and she smiled back at me before answering "I love you more honey". This time will be different, I will change how I was before the accident, I can't let my anger ruin what Rachel and I have. I won't let it, not this time. I didn't die that night for a reason. I'm going to make everything right again.

*Rachel's POV*

Riley. His name was on constant repeat in my brain. I miss my baby boy so much. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him, the pain of his death eased slightly when I was dealing with Finn and his memory loss. Losing Riley almost killed me, Finn and I changed, everything changed. Nothing was the same after his death and it will never be the same but it could be better. I can still remember that fateful day just like it was yesterday.

*flashback*

It was a beautiful day in June, the weather was warm and inviting. Every window in the house was open and we could hear the chirping of the birds coming through the window in our bedroom. Today was Finn's day off and we planned on taking the kids to the park.

I smiled as I looked out of the window, today is going to be a perfect day. Rolling over I felt for Finn, my hand gently rested on his large chest as I cuddled against him. Sighing happily, I leaned up and brushed my lips against his jawline. He slowly opened his eyes and smiled down at me.

"mmm good morning baby" he said and wrapped his arms around me.

"indeed a good morning honey" I answered and kissed him.

"What time are we taking the kids to the park?" He asked me and I glanced at the clock behind him.

"Well it's 8 am so I figured maybe leave here at 9, if that's fine with you?" I answered and he smiled.

"Of course, I'll go get a shower, while you get the kids ready" he said and kissed me again before jumping off the bed, Smiling as he walked away from me. Pushing the covers off of me, I dressed and then went into Riley room to feed and change him. Today Riley is 2 months old and looks so much like his father. After I changed and dressed little man, I carried him with me into Alexa room. She was an early riser just like her father.

"morning babygirl" I said when I walked in and saw her playing on the floor.

"morning mommy and Riley" she answered as she continued playing with her barbies.