Chapter 1: Anomaly

The the sound of my heart thudding against my chest is the only sound I could hear, it sent chills down my neck and back they were good chills though....extremely good chills.

This was the only thing that was proving that I had not died and gone to heaven or had I, who will know.

Let's skip this part because this comes a little later on.

For now my name is Alice Goodman I'm a lawyer, I work at Duchér Law Firm, my schedule is 40 hours on weekends and everyday throughout the week all day long.

Even when I'm not working, I really don't see how I have the time to keep up with my personal life and my personal needs. I hadn't had sex in seven months that's five months away from being a year.

I really had to do better, that is what my body said, but it's not what my mind wanted.

My mind wanted to be completely focused on my work. My job is important to me. It will always be important, granted it shouldn't have been my life, but it was my life, and as far as I can tell that isn't changing anytime soon.

Right now I'm in the office at 11:45 pm working on the Winter Blooms account.

-

It is however a good thing I hired my assistant named Logan over 6 months ago to help me. If not I would have been bordering on having a major meltdown. I needed to be on my "A" game.

I am the best of the best I graduated from Yale top of my class. So I cannot afford to lose this job over some minuscule breakdown.

But, I'm babbling about me..

Let's move on anyway he's the best assistant I can ask for.

As I am analyzing and re-analyzing the work that's already done on the Bloom's case to make sure it is absolutely positively perfect — my best friends in the world Anna, Christie, and Jessica call me reminding me of how it's my birthday.

Now before you ask no I did not forget it was my own birthday — OK, maybe I did, but so what who doesn't forget their birthday?

As they sing Happy Birthday to me they tell me that we're going to a club, that I need to stop what I'm doing so I could get ready. I told them I still had work to do.

Christie then told me that she would embarrass me by bringing my ex-boyfriend with us the night that we had planned to go out, which was on Saturday....two days from now.

Ladies let's stop right there for a moment wouldn't you rather run over your own toe with a car, than to have an "unwanted ex" roaming around with YOU and your Special Friends who watch and record in their heads EVERYTHING you do?? Or just having the "ex" there in general.

Knowing that I didn't want my ex anywhere near me or my friends, I say yes.

I would go, but I would need  more than an hour and half to get ready not counting the fifteen minutes it takes to get to my condo.

Hanging up the phone they said okay. So, I put the folder with the Winter Bloom's case in my desk drawer which locks, thank God. I picked up my purse, turned off my light and left my office and closed my door behind me.