Chapter 1

• Dedicated to My Brother, Austin.

14.

That is how many candles are on my birthday cake. And that is how old I am.

"Happy, Happy, Happy Happy Birthday. Have a wonderful... Happy Happy Birthday." Sings through my family of 4.

Mom, dad, and little brother, Ander. My mom's name is Jane Amber Francis Lumber. She is a beautiful, blonde hair, green eyed 35 year old. My dad's name is Marcus Ray Lumber, and he is a tall, brown hair, blue eyed 37 year old. My brother is Ander John Lumber. He is a short, brown hair, green eyed 11 year old. Ander looks like he is the son of my mom and dad, where as I look adopted.

In my pajama bottoms and plain pink tee I blow out my candles on the cake my dad made. My dad is off today for my birthday. I don't have school because in my school they believe that you should honor your birthday. I love that. In our history books, it states that kids a long time ago had to go to school on their birthday. What a joke.

"What did you wish for, Anna?" Ander asks after I blow out my candles.

"I shall never tell because if I do, my wish won't come true.

"Aww." He gets a sad look on his face. I laugh and give him a little rub on the head to mess up his hair just enough to make him have to immediately fix it.

***

Six months have passed, and I am wishing that day was still here. That will be the last normal birthday I will have. Next year is different.

Once a person reaches the age of 15, they are put in a group they fit in based on their personality. After the groups are decided, we are then given our fate based on a series of tests. There are three tests.

The first test is Combat. If you are comfortable in a situation of war, you would probably do really well in this test.

The second test is Logic. Logic is based on four categories; language, math, history, other. Other is filled with the random facts that you may or may not know.

The third test is Social. This is difficult this is the main decider. Third is always challenging because it is given three ways; Written, Computer Imaging, or Real Life. Written is a bunch or scenarios that could potentially happen. Computer Imaging is taken at a computer, and simulations appear one at a time, and the scenarios seem more real because you have headphones on that are basically living them out. Someone is monitoring this test along with the Real Life test. Real Life is when you are just going day to day and someone is monitoring every kind of interaction you have throughout a time span.

After all tests are finished, your results are then calculated and put into a computer for placement. There are four placement areas; Militia, CoStudies, Studyship, and Local Living.

Militia is for the bravest, and the most willing to fight. Back in the day, according to our textbooks, the Militia used to be called an "Army". Militia is the most difficult to get into because you have to place high on all three tests because you must not be afraid to shoot a gun in a moments notice, be able to take in notes quickly and efficiently, and be able to communicate with other Militians without problems.

Next is the CoStudies. CoStudies is for the smart and the kind. These select few are taught, and are able to run our Kender Society. CoStudies is the rarest to get into because you have to get near perfect scores in the Logic and Social tests because you must be able to take in lots of knowledge, and be able to communicate well with others. Here is where you find most music, art, and dance people as well.

Lets continue on with Studyship. Studyship is for the kind, and the selfless. This placement is given solely on the results of the Social test. This group is easier to get it to than Militia and CoStudies. In Studyship, you are focused on either helping others through jobs such as teachers, doctors, and Emergency Personal, or study things about human behaviors in jobs such as therapists, scientists, and lawyers.

The final placement area is basically for everyone else in the Local Living. Here you will find a wide variety of people. Astronomers to Zoo Keepers. Gamers to Fashion Designers. These people can be anything up above, just not fit the requirements above. These people have it the easiest as well. They can go day to day and not be pointed the finger for any kind of reason, and they can go on with not much knowledge.

So far I am told I could fit into all except Militia.

I take my first test in one month.