Prologue

The day that changed my life. I am put in a group of random people. My name was picked to go into training with The Militia. Here you don't get to choose your fate.

In the middle of eating lunch on a day in May 2076, President Chain comes over a TV in the cafeteria and says, "We are under attack; The war has begun. This is what your training is for. Go. NOW!"

At the end the TV turns grey then black. Everyone gets up and walks toward a hallway. When we enter, it is nearly pitch black, but when we see a green light turn red, we start to run, then get into a sprint. We turn a corner, then turn into a room. The room is filled with vests, jackets, and guns, and we know to suit up. We all exit after we are done.

As we walk outside, the light is blinding. When my vision comes to, I see Jay standing there looking at me. His facial expression is dull, like he is mad at me. I soon figure out he's not when he takes my hand. He doesn't say a word. When we get to a heeleetransporter, he puts his free hand on my hip and helps me in. He comes seconds after me.

He is a leader. Tall, strong, beautiful brown eyes, and loves to make jokes. He knows what is going on. I don't... For now.

"What is-" I can't finish my sentence. He puts his hand from my hip to my mouth to stop the words from coming, as if he knows what I am going to say.

"Don't say anything." He starts. He voice sounds strained, but quite, like a secret he is about to tell me. "I will explain later. All you need to know is that I am here for you. And that is not going to change." He kisses my cheek, and I lay my head on his shoulder. The last words I hear from him are "I love you."