Chapter 15

We run for 6 blocks. 

"Stop."

I turn my head to just barely see over my shoulder, and I see Hank. I stop.

" Jay!" I call to him.

He stops turns around. He looks so cute against the smoke. His eyes glisten in the sun.

"Come here." Hank says with a flat tone.

Jay approaches us.

"Jay, you are being upgraded to Commander. Please take this." Hank hands him a watch. "Press the circle button on the side. You will be right in touch with Hannah back at base."

He pauses and turns to me.

"Anna, you might want to say good bye."

"Why?" 

He takes a deep breath. "You have to be split up for a while. There is no way you can fufill your duties with him always be your side."

I look over a Jay who has his mouth open, and he looks like he is about to cry.

"I will be at your house. You have 10 minutes."

He starts to walk away when I stop him.

"Will we see each other again?"

"Yes, but not for a while."

"Ok." 

Hank turns and walks away. I turn toward Jay.

I run into his arms and start to cry.

"Jay." I whisper.

"We have 10 minutes."

I look up at him. He releases me and takes my hand. We walk over to the curb and sit.

"Anna, I will find you. You will see me again. No matter where." Our eyes meet. "You are beautiful. Don't let anyone change who you are. You have to be strong. You have to be brave. You have to be honest. Anna."

He kisses me. We stay like that for a while. I push back just enough for our foreheads to meet.

"I love you, Jay."

"I love you, too, Anna."

I kiss him with everything I have. 

"I don't want to say good bye." I start to cry. 

"Don't cry. Be the strong girl I meet. Be that amazing girl at that party. Be that brave girl in my bedroom. Anna, when we get time just the two of us again-"

I kiss him.

"You will get what you have been wanting." I say.

I hug him for a minute or so. 

"You have to go. But first." He pulls out a picture of himself. "I have been hanging onto this since I found out about this whole thing. I want you to have it. When you feel down, discouraged, lonely, stressed, or any other bad feeling, look at it. Kiss it. Do what ever you want to give you the encouragement to continue."

I embrace him. He turns around, and starts to walk away, into the smoke, that has gotten closer.

"Jay!" He stops and turns around. "Look out!"