Chapter 17

"Hank?"

We turn around and see my mother standing in the door frame that leads to out kitchen.

"Jane?"

Hank and my mom embrace each other.

"What's going on?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Why are you hugging?"

"Your, mom?"

She nods her head yes.

"Your mom is an old friend of mine. We used to be in classes when we were younger. Then, when it was time, I went to Base and she worked there."

"Hank was a great friend. I showed him places that were not on the Introductory Tour."

"When I excused myself, your mother had no idea. I left within a matter of minutes. I couldn't say goodbye, and didn't really even think about it, either. I wasn't thinking straight."

"We haven't seen each other in years."

"Well, we need to get back to talking about what is the next step." I said, interrupting the conversation.

"Your right." Hank said turning to Mom. " We can continue this conversation later."

"I will leave you two to discuss what ever needs to be discussed." Mom said with a smile, turned and walked away.

"Anna, listen. You need to be ready. Tomorrow you will go to the Militia and begin training. It will be different for you then everyone else. You are preparing for the war that no one else will know about. I will be in comunication with you throughout the process. I will meet you here tomorrow morning. Have a good evening, Miss Lumber." He gives me a smile, gets up, and starts to walk to the door.

He stops right before the door, turns to me. "Anna. Any more questions I can answer tomorrow. Bye." I wave goodbye.