Keep Him Away From The New Kid

Half of the names on the list had already been crossed off.

"Jeremy? What about him?" the spritely boy questioned, looking up from his notepad with the names of every single man around their age scribbled between the thin, blue lines.

"Check. He was an ass though, I wouldn't recommend" Tyler scowled, face contorting into one of disgust as he examined his nails for no particular reason. Maybe he should let them grow.

Ashley perked up at the mention of the previously said name. She held the turquoise glass cup of black coffee in one hand while she used the other to exaggerate her point.

"Dude, I knew him when he was a kid. The little shit always picked the berries from the bush in my garden so I stole his dog" Ashley mentioned, the sentence starting with an annoyed tone but gradually transitioning into a bored, nonchalant tone.

Brendon, Tyler and Debby looked at her expectantly, urging her to add to the story.

"Hey, in my defence, he didn't care for the dog properly, I pretty much did him a favour. Serves him right for stealing my berries. To this day, he still doesn't know it was me who stole his dog" the blue-haired girl chuckled and took a large gulp of her hot beverage.

"Such a savage" Debby snorted, half sarcastic, half honest.

"I'm pretty sure he knows, Ash" Tyler theorised, a smirk etched onto his face as he played around with the napkins.

"Oh yeah? How?"

"Well it isn't hard to figure out who stole your goddamn dog when you live in a small town with a total of 57 residents. Not to mention you live two houses down from him so he would obviously hear the barking" the brown eyed boy teased, nudging her arm with his.

She blinked.

"He never confronted me about it so, as far as we know, he never found out it was me" was her smart-ass reply.

Brendon scratched out the name 'Jeremy' with the shadow-black ink the pen produced so that the crossed-out name matched the others above it.

"So how about Thomas?" he announced. His glasses slid down his nose as he looked up from his notepad and studied the flamboyant brunet curiously.

Tyler shot up from his slouched position in his seat, gasped and slammed his hands on the small coffee shop table, causing all the cups to shuffle slightly and little droplets to splatter on the clean surface.

"Check. Oh man! I totally forgot about him! He was boring but, damn, once he stopped talking and started putting his mouth to some good use, he had a fine-"

"HEY GUYS"

The small bell above the door jingled.

The four friends looked to the entrance of the small coffee shop that they claimed as their go-to place to hangout. Best coffee and best muffins you'll ever taste, hand on heart.

The bubbly blonde girl burst through the doors and sashayed over to the table the gang was sitting at.

"Did you hear?!" Jenna squealed, throwing her bag to the floor and scooting into the vacant seat they saved for her.

"Hear what?" Ashley queried through a mouthful of blueberry muffin.

"Apparently there's a new kid in town" she giggled, practically jumping up and down in her seat.

"When you say 'kid', what age are we talking about here?" Debby blurted, losing all interest in her half-empty coffee, only keeping her hands around it to keep them warm.

"Word on the street is he's around 26 or 27" she answered with a smile.

The group locked their gazes onto Tyler as they noticed he had finally gained interest in the topic by the way he scooted his chair closer to the barer of news.

They were all in their early twenties, the oldest being Tyler at 25.

Brendon reached over and forcefully pushed down Tyler's raised shoulders and boosted attitude.

"Keep him away from the new kid" Brendon instructed, all friends nodding in agreement, muttering a small 'yeah' or 'good idea'.

"Oh come on, guys!" Tyler huffed, crossing his toned, bare arms over his chest. He wasn't wearing a jacket, let alone sleeves, even though the weather was pretty chilly. He said something about being 'too cool' for coats. Typical.

"Also, supposedly, he's going to work here!" Jenna piped. She was really excited and the whole group knew why. They never got new residents. The people born here, stay here and, more often than not, never leave the town. It was as if the place didn't even exist. If you were to mention it to someone who hadn't grown up there, they would simply state that they had never heard of the place.

One question was running through everybody's mind.

"Why the heck did he move here?! That's a bit suspicious, don't you think?" said Debby.

Jenna waved her off. "Nonsense, he probably just needed a change of scenery or something"

"Either way, we must all agree to keep Tyler away from this guy at all costs. Give others a chance, you little minx" Brendon added, hooking an arm around Tyler's neck and ruffling up with chocolate locks.

"Let me go, you asshole. I just styled my hair this morning" Tyler grunted, shoving the raven-haired boy off of him before trying to reshape his hairstyle and fix the tuffs of hair that stuck out.

"So when does he start working here, anyways?" Ashley chimed in.

Right then, the bell above the door jingled and the sound echoed throughout the small shop.

Everyone's head whipped around and their scrutinising gaze landed on him.

Tyler's heart caught in his throat and his eyes practically bulged out of their sockets.

There was just something about him.

Something prodigious.

_______________

Yo, hey, how you doingggg?
This is probably the most thought out idea I've ever had, I hope I can get it into words correctly
And get ready for a rollercoaster ok ok