But I'll Be Your Best Friend

"I'm making progress" Tyler squealed, plopping down on the maroon suede couch in Brendon's house.

"Why do I find that hard to believe?" Debby joked, a small chuckle escaping her lips. "Mind elaborating?"

The curious group turned to face the boy who was seemingly bursting with excitement.

The friends had respectively gave Tyler his privacy and did not eavesdrop on his encounter which surprised them all. Who knew they could be so respectful?

They were genuinely excited to hear the story from their boisterous pal's point of view. He always had a way to spice up a story. When someone would call the melodramatic man out on his exaggerated story, he would simply state, "It's better to over exaggerate than to under-exaggerate. No one wants to hear a basic, boring story".

It was true after all.

"It started with me ordering. I tried to sneak in a certain sentence but I don't think he picked up on it which was kinda disappointing. I was expecting a reaction but didn't receive one. He was completely unfazed!" He began, shock and confusion traced in his tone and expression.

They all wondered what this "certain sentence" was but assumed it was too crude and allowed it to fly over their heads, they probably didn't want to know.

"So afterwards, I was being my usual self and providing the stranger with the most alluring pickup lines that I could think of at the top of my head" he continued, relaying the memory with a certain fondness.

"It wasn't working. But I didn't give up! I tried again. Bust. Then in the non-existent heat of the moment, I ended up saying something completely stupid, embarrassing, mortifying and awkward. The most unpropitious phrase I could think of " the bubbly boy rubbed the back of his neck in shame and gave a small, nervous giggle at the end.

"Fuck, dude" Ashley sniggered. "What was it?"

If Tyler did or said something embarrassing and felt embarrassed about it himself, it was obviously something worth telling.

"Oh gosh, what did you say?" Jenna gasped, covering her mouth with her hands. She was even more intrigued.

There was a moment of silence while Tyler contemplated spilling the sentence.

Brendon spoke up, suddenly.

"Oh please tell me it wasn't what I think it was"

Bewilderment and something resembling fear was etched across his face but also amusement. He knew he was right when the friend with the short, chocolate-coloured tufts of hair gaped at him.

"You're joking! You didn't!" The raven haired man guffawed, looking at him from behind his black framed glasses, eyes twinkling with humour.

"Tyler, what did you say?" The rest asked in unison, clearly confused.

The boy in question hesitated.

"Well, I said, 'Are you my Appendix? Because I have a funny feeling inside that makes me want to take you out' " the vivacious young adult said rather quickly, hoping they missed it.

When they all gasped and started into fits of laughter, he took it as a sign to speak again.

"BUT IT DID WORK! Sorta" he quipped, hands raised in front of his chest in mock defence.