Chapter 16: HEARTBEAT

Two weeks later

"Mutt, you should really go to church with me. I think you'd like it." Taylor said, folding the ends of his sleeve.

I scoffed, "If you think I'd like listening to the word of God then you don't know me."

Taylor let out a chuckle. He turned to me, showing off that pretty little smile of his.

"Why'd you say it like that? Word of God? I think you'd like it. It helped me through a lot." Taylor walked over to me. Bending over and leaning towards me. For a minute I thought he was going to kiss me, I wished he would've. Instead, he grabbed his red tie off the bed.

"Are you an atheist?" He asked, heading back over to the mirror.

"No. I believe in a God, I just don't believe it's Jesus Christ." I stated.

"So, are you Muslim or something?"

I laughed, "No. I don't know what I am."

Taylor fixed his tie and then looked at his wrist watch. I studied him. He was so different than Bonnie. So sophisticated and hopeful.

"Explain, I've got time." He said.

Sighing, I said, "Every religious person praises a God. There's a lot of Gods, who's to say Jesus Christ is the real one. He has a story just like any other God. Maybe there's more than one God, maybe not but we don't know;  and if there happens to be a God, who made him? And why'd he make us? Why'd he abandon us?"

Taylor stared at me, a smile slowly appearing on his face. He mumbled something under his breath.

"Hurry back, Taylor." I told him as he disappeared out of the room.

I sat up, staring at my stomach. I watched it move up and down and then smacked it out of pure boredom. I looked around the room.

I had been staying at Taylors house for the past two weeks. I haven't seen my family. I don't even know if my mom is dead or not. I didn't visit her in the hospital. I was too scared. Taylor and I dropped her off and then left the hospital.

How she was knocked down the stairs was very clear. While Taylor and Marcus were fighting, they accidentally pushed her somehow.

I stood at the end of the staircase. By now everyone had surrounded her to make sure she was okay. I wanted to be by her side too but I couldn't move. It was like my feet were glued to the wooden floor.

I felt chills.

"Give her some space!" Taylor shouted.

"Move nigga! You the reason this happened in the first place, you come busting in here attacking-"

"Shut the hell up!" Marcus yelled, pushing Adrian on the ground. "This is your fault! If you would've kept your fucking mouth shut, none of this would have happened!"

"Oh so you and that nigga fighting is my fault? If you wouldn't have left Mutt alone in a field with drunken undercover fags, he wouldn't have gotten those bruises and Captain-Save-A-Hoe wouldn't have felt the need to come to the rescue." Adrian spat, standing up, getting in Marcus' face.