Chapter 20: COLD WORLD

We were back in North Carolina, we were on our way to the hospital. I didn't really get any more information on how Bonnie was doing but I was scared the whole time.

What if he took too much?

What if he tried to commit suicide?

What if...

What if...

My mind was racing. I stared at the ground, praying to a God I wasn't sure even existed.

The RV came to a stop. I looked out the window, we were in the parking lot of the hospital. We got out of the car and made our way into the hospital.

Taylor walked up to the front desk and asked the girl for Bonnie's room number.

In a short amount of time we were in his hallway. Taylor started to jog over to an elderly couple sitting anxiously in chairs.

"What's wrong? Why aren't you inside the room?" Taylor asked.

"He's not up, Taylor. He took too much." The old man said, clutching his weeping wife to his chest.

I put my hands in my pocket, waiting for Taylor to continue the conversation. I needed as much information as I could get.

"So, do you know what happened yet?" Taylor asked.

"The drugs were mixed."

"As of like, he took multiple drugs at the same time?"

"Kinda, like, he mixed two pills together and took seven of em."

I crossed my arms. Something didn't seem right, Bonnie wasn't the type of person to lace drugs, he'd simply take one after the other. Unless he was trying something new, but I seriously doubt it.

We were in the hospital for hours upon hours before a doctor walked up to us to deliver us information. He was a tall black man with a shiny bald head.

"Family of Bonito-"

"We're here!" The woman said, interrupting the doctor.

"I have good news but I also have bad news." He said, flipping through the papers attached to his clipboard. "The good news is that he's alive, the bad news: he's barely holding up. It doesn't seem like Bonnie's waking up any time soon."

The old woman let out a loud cry as she fell to her knees. Taylor helped his father pick her up. I watched, unsure of how to feel. Penelope grabbed my hand to comfort me. I forced a smile at her.

•••

It was late. It was the middle of the night. Everyone was sound asleep except for me. I laid beside Taylor, staring at the ceiling.

I felt like shit. Bonnie was in the hospital, I didn't know if my mother was dead or not, and my siblings hated me. I sighed.

Why was life so hard?

I turned to Taylor who was sleeping like a baby. He didn't seem too concerned about Bonnie. Maybe it was because they hated each other. Maybe it was because Taylor had already went through this several times.